topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

Would you rather see an internet full of ads? Or Comic Sans?

ads
Comic Sans

Author Topic: In a world free from ads, one font reigns supreme. COMIC SANS!  (Read 10889 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If you visit How-to Geek with an ad blocker enabled, it now displays the site all in Comic Sans.

Screenshot - 9_2_2015 , 7_40_44 PM.png

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: In a world free from ads, one font reigns supreme. COMIC SANS!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 06:56 PM »
i refuse to choose from those 2 poll options :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 06:58 PM »
... that's just stupid.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 07:10 PM »
Really? The site shows up in Arial on my PC with AdGuard running.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 09:42 PM »
i refuse to choose from those 2 poll options :)

Agreed (didn't see the poll before, so I wondered what you were talking about).

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 10:12 PM »
Comic Sans all the way.  Bring it.

https://www.donation...opic=30703.msg285720
I'm Comic Sans, A**hole
You think I’m a malformed, pathetic excuse for a font. Well think again, nerdhole, because I’m Comic Sans, and I’m the best thing to happen to typography since Johannes f***ing Gutenberg.

P.S. I'm still looking for a monospace Comic Sans-like in bitmap font format.  To code in.   8)

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 11:41 PM »
Really? The site shows up in Arial on my PC with AdGuard running.

Same here with ublock origin.

"Adblock Warning Removal List" and "Anti-Adblock Killer | Reek" are selected; I guess that does the trick.

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 12:58 AM »
quote:
Poll
Would you rather see an internet full of ads? Or Comic Sans?
    ads
    Comic Sans

end quote. Say what?  :-\

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 01:14 AM »
There's nothing wrong with Comic Sans except the fact that everybody liked it so it got used everywhere.

It's like ending your sentence with a preposition. There's really nothing wrong with it from a grammatical point of view. But grade school teachers forbade it to keep it from being overdone by young students and eventually entire generations grew up thinking it was always bad all the time.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 06:36 AM »
There's nothing wrong with Comic Sans except the fact that everybody liked it so it got used everywhere.

It's like ending your sentence with a preposition. There's really nothing wrong with it from a grammatical point of view. But grade school teachers forbade it to keep it from being overdone by young students and eventually entire generations grew up thinking it was always bad all the time.

Well, Comic Sans has been the subject of ... rants... before. Last I recall some articles, it was a combo of it being in one of the Microsoft releases way back, and then a couple of quirks of history picked it up and off it went.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 07:00 AM »
I say Comic Sans is a perfect fit for the outburst of Comic Book Villain laughter over the demise of the Ads!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 07:19 AM »
I'm very disappointed - I've tried three browsers with adblockers and see no comic sans -

we want comic sans
we want comic sans

just once at least - then I'd add them to my adblocker white list.
I think it's a great fun way of getting the message across that they want us to allow them to show ads.

If I was inflexible about making an adblocker exception, I dont know how I'd feel - but I'd have to see it first, in comic sans I mean - go back to beginning of post and loop ;-)
Tom

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 05:41 AM »
I think they turned it off, because I am not seeing Comic Sans any more, or the extra yellow bar at the top with the cute little pro Comic Sans quips. :(

To be honest, I'd rather have the Comic Sans on every site, rather than the ads. I have never heard of anyone's PC becoming infected with malware and it being legitimately blamed on Comic Sans.

And a Greasemonkey script that changes all instances of Comic Sans found on any page, to Arial, would be trivial.

Of course if every site did something like this and each chose a different goofy font, it could become a bit more difficult.

There is a long running Papyrus joke at SitePoint, complete with screenshots of what the site would look like in all Papyrus, and it's a hoot...better than Comic Sans.  ;D

screenshot_2015-09-02_10.40.58.pngIn a world free from ads, one font reigns supreme. COMIC SANS!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 08:06 AM »
I think they turned it off, because I am not seeing Comic Sans any more, or the extra yellow bar at the top with the cute little pro Comic Sans quips. :(

To be honest, I'd rather have the Comic Sans on every site, rather than the ads. I have never heard of anyone's PC becoming infected with malware and it being legitimately blamed on Comic Sans.

And a Greasemonkey script that changes all instances of Comic Sans found on any page, to Arial, would be trivial.

Of course if every site did something like this and each chose a different goofy font, it could become a bit more difficult.

There is a long running Papyrus joke at SitePoint, complete with screenshots of what the site would look like in all Papyrus, and it's a hoot...better than Comic Sans.  ;D

[ Invalid Attachment ]

There are other, more constructive ways to do it.  Like mouser said, it's not a choice between comics sans or some other stupid trick and ads.  There are creative ways to monetize your site and not use ads.  The comic sans bit?  I just won't go to the site.  It's the reason I support stuff like Google Contribute and Patreon and Kickstarter and other platforms that give the content creators a way to monetize their sites without resorting to ads or tricks.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 11:49 AM »
Hah! "Unearth hidden gems with our rails deep dive" somehow changes meaning completely with Papyrus font. Suddenly it evokes images of a LotR "Mines of Moria" quest or something. Amazing how much context a mere font can imply.

- Oshyan

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2015, 08:03 AM »
There are other, more constructive ways to do it.  Like mouser said, it's not a choice between comics sans or some other stupid trick and ads.  There are creative ways to monetize your site and not use ads.  The comic sans bit?  I just won't go to the site. 

To me that's throwing out babies with bathwater.

Depending heavily on which version of FireFox is involved (because they have mucked around with the settings about the last five versions!), at least with my Comodo IceDragon version of the settings, what about
Tools/Options/Content/Advanced font section/
And then uncheck "allow pages to choose their own fonts instead of my defaults above"?

If you can fix it with as little effort as possible, then make some site's "silliness" (in whatever random form), then you just go back to your stuff and let it go out of sight out of mind.

And even besides malware, the "either-or" said *ads*, and I want those to include the site's own increasingly obnoxious focus-stealing pop-ups!

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2015, 09:54 AM »
I, fortunately, do not live in a country that has to deal with this, but a lot of people in the world have to ration their data with metered connections. Ad traffic can make quite a dent in someone's data bucket for the month what with all the banner ads rotating and the bloated Flash ads clogging up one's screen.

Oh, since I feel a rant coming on....if you as a company run a site, don't get on your site's forums pleading for money for memberships to help defray server and bandwidth costs (and whine about people who block ads) when you as a company spent $25 million buying that site in the first place. I'm looking directly at you Conde Nast and Ars Technica.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2015, 12:13 PM »
There are other, more constructive ways to do it.  Like mouser said, it's not a choice between comics sans or some other stupid trick and ads.  There are creative ways to monetize your site and not use ads.  The comic sans bit?  I just won't go to the site. 

To me that's throwing out babies with bathwater.

Depending heavily on which version of FireFox is involved (because they have mucked around with the settings about the last five versions!), at least with my Comodo IceDragon version of the settings, what about
Tools/Options/Content/Advanced font section/
And then uncheck "allow pages to choose their own fonts instead of my defaults above"?

If you can fix it with as little effort as possible, then make some site's "silliness" (in whatever random form), then you just go back to your stuff and let it go out of sight out of mind.

And even besides malware, the "either-or" said *ads*, and I want those to include the site's own increasingly obnoxious focus-stealing pop-ups!

You can.  But I don't want to.  I look at it as a direct way to annoy you in order to get you to pay.  At that point, instead of going around, I just don't go.  It might seem extreme, but that's my approach.  I'll use adblockers- and whitelist once I see the ads are ok.  That's pretty easy to do.  And I'll pay if the site is worth it.  But what they probably think is cute, to me is stupid.  And when I see stupid, I'm not likely to go through hoops just to get around it.  It's not something that I *need*.  That's the reason that I don't go to a lot of sites I stopped going to when they changed to something stupid.  It's not like I need their content.  And apparently, it's not like they need my view.  So we're both happier.

Oh, since I feel a rant coming on....if you as a company run a site, don't get on your site's forums pleading for money for memberships to help defray server and bandwidth costs (and whine about people who block ads) when you as a company spent $25 million buying that site in the first place. I'm looking directly at you Conde Nast and Ars Technica.

That's why I don't go.  No matter how compelling the clickbait title might be.  Let's rant together!

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2015, 03:47 PM »

Please stop french-kissing your site visitors

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2015, 02:21 PM »
I look at it as a direct way to annoy you in order to get you to pay.  At that point, instead of going around, I just don't go.  It might seem extreme, but that's my approach.

Same here. I've got way better things to do with my time than play someone's silly game with intrusive ads. Be nice, or be gone. However I also reserve the right to hack anything pisses me off, especially if they throw an exit loop at me when I try to leave.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2015, 02:41 PM »
I look at it as a direct way to annoy you in order to get you to pay.  At that point, instead of going around, I just don't go.  It might seem extreme, but that's my approach.

Same here. I've got way better things to do with my time than play someone's silly game with intrusive ads. Be nice, or be gone. However I also reserve the right to hack anything pisses me off, especially if they throw an exit loop at me when I try to leave.

I reverse the order of these two.

For over-clarity:

"I also reserve the right to hack anything pisses me off"

To me content is content, and the time lost trying to find alternate versions of the story is the key part lost in "don't go there". I'd much rather apply any of my 17 second hacks.

Especially I have an eye for a "key phrase" and if only "one copy" of the news has some key quote, then hack the ads and deal with them to get that key detail.

After all, it's the site managers that put annoying stuff on their sites. But let's just say that for once some writer mugged a Windows Manager in a stairwell and wouldn't let him go until he got a legally usable quote, go for it. Eat six ads to get that.

Win10 is still in such early phases, it's still the giant Hold'em poker game where none of us have any idea what's going on. We're BARELY getting through tactical install issues. We have NO idea what "the last Windows version ever because it's now all cloudy-y/Saas-y" ....means!

jadinolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2015, 05:38 PM »
That's my favorite.

I could do a screen capture but I know you believe me. :)
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2015, 08:26 PM »
P.S. I'm still looking for a monospace Comic Sans-like in bitmap font format.  To code in.   

Screenshot - 9_6_2015 , 9_19_26 PM.pngIn a world free from ads, one font reigns supreme. COMIC SANS!

http://www.comicbook...Constant-p/cl343.htm -- I'm sure it could be bitmap-ified!
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2015, 05:38 PM »
I was using FireSans in FF with minimum font size 18.  This looks a bit better.  The FireSans looked live video blown up on a big screen with too large pixels.  Your basic golf ball effect.  This is a bit easier on the eyes.   :Thmbsup:

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2015, 08:40 PM »
P.S. I'm still looking for a monospace Comic Sans-like in bitmap font format.  To code in.   

http://www.comicbook...Constant-p/cl343.htm -- I'm sure it could be bitmap-ified!

Ulp!... Not for 39 bucks!!  :o
Nice lookin' font though...

I did find one good candidate amongst some other very nice free programming fonts: PointFree
https://code.google....i3project/wiki/Fonts

si9ws1b.png

:Thmbsup: