ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

In a world free from ads, one font reigns supreme. COMIC SANS!

<< < (4/5) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
There are other, more constructive ways to do it.  Like mouser said, it's not a choice between comics sans or some other stupid trick and ads.  There are creative ways to monetize your site and not use ads.  The comic sans bit?  I just won't go to the site. 
-wraith808 (September 04, 2015, 08:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

To me that's throwing out babies with bathwater.

Depending heavily on which version of FireFox is involved (because they have mucked around with the settings about the last five versions!), at least with my Comodo IceDragon version of the settings, what about
Tools/Options/Content/Advanced font section/
And then uncheck "allow pages to choose their own fonts instead of my defaults above"?

If you can fix it with as little effort as possible, then make some site's "silliness" (in whatever random form), then you just go back to your stuff and let it go out of sight out of mind.

And even besides malware, the "either-or" said *ads*, and I want those to include the site's own increasingly obnoxious focus-stealing pop-ups!

Innuendo:
I, fortunately, do not live in a country that has to deal with this, but a lot of people in the world have to ration their data with metered connections. Ad traffic can make quite a dent in someone's data bucket for the month what with all the banner ads rotating and the bloated Flash ads clogging up one's screen.

Oh, since I feel a rant coming on....if you as a company run a site, don't get on your site's forums pleading for money for memberships to help defray server and bandwidth costs (and whine about people who block ads) when you as a company spent $25 million buying that site in the first place. I'm looking directly at you Conde Nast and Ars Technica.

wraith808:
There are other, more constructive ways to do it.  Like mouser said, it's not a choice between comics sans or some other stupid trick and ads.  There are creative ways to monetize your site and not use ads.  The comic sans bit?  I just won't go to the site. 
-wraith808 (September 04, 2015, 08:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

To me that's throwing out babies with bathwater.

Depending heavily on which version of FireFox is involved (because they have mucked around with the settings about the last five versions!), at least with my Comodo IceDragon version of the settings, what about
Tools/Options/Content/Advanced font section/
And then uncheck "allow pages to choose their own fonts instead of my defaults above"?

If you can fix it with as little effort as possible, then make some site's "silliness" (in whatever random form), then you just go back to your stuff and let it go out of sight out of mind.

And even besides malware, the "either-or" said *ads*, and I want those to include the site's own increasingly obnoxious focus-stealing pop-ups!

-TaoPhoenix (September 05, 2015, 08:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can.  But I don't want to.  I look at it as a direct way to annoy you in order to get you to pay.  At that point, instead of going around, I just don't go.  It might seem extreme, but that's my approach.  I'll use adblockers- and whitelist once I see the ads are ok.  That's pretty easy to do.  And I'll pay if the site is worth it.  But what they probably think is cute, to me is stupid.  And when I see stupid, I'm not likely to go through hoops just to get around it.  It's not something that I *need*.  That's the reason that I don't go to a lot of sites I stopped going to when they changed to something stupid.  It's not like I need their content.  And apparently, it's not like they need my view.  So we're both happier.

Oh, since I feel a rant coming on....if you as a company run a site, don't get on your site's forums pleading for money for memberships to help defray server and bandwidth costs (and whine about people who block ads) when you as a company spent $25 million buying that site in the first place. I'm looking directly at you Conde Nast and Ars Technica.
-Innuendo (September 05, 2015, 09:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's why I don't go.  No matter how compelling the clickbait title might be.  Let's rant together!

app103:

-TaoPhoenix (September 05, 2015, 08:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Please stop french-kissing your site visitors

Stoic Joker:
I look at it as a direct way to annoy you in order to get you to pay.  At that point, instead of going around, I just don't go.  It might seem extreme, but that's my approach.-wraith808 (September 05, 2015, 12:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Same here. I've got way better things to do with my time than play someone's silly game with intrusive ads. Be nice, or be gone. However I also reserve the right to hack anything pisses me off, especially if they throw an exit loop at me when I try to leave.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version