topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:51 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: zdnet blog post: Maybe Firefox doesn't have a security edge after all  (Read 4816 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Ed Bott's latest column: Maybe Firefox doesn't have a security edge after all:

Kvetching about Microsoft security flaws is so 2002.
That thought came to mind today when I read a misleading and disingenuous post by Firefox evangelist Asa Dotzler. Now, Asa just got back from a trip halfway around the world. So I’m going to assume that it was jet lag that caused him to write and publish a post entitled microsoft security manager calls users stupid, which contained these fightin’ words:

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Security is all about end user education. You can make a browser as dummy proof as you want,  but if a user is click happy and just clicks yes to everything, then all the security built into a browser wont help. Firefox has had its share of security exploits and that, in my opinion, has blown away the illusion that most firefox evangelists had about firefox being impervious to such attacks (buffer overflows, underruns, etc). I think more time should be spent educating the end users about security as opposed to trying to dummy proof (from a security standpoint) the software (in this case, a browser).

vevola

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • VeVoLa
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
nice point, josh.... i agree *totally*!
-vevola