ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Small utility for finding Wireless Networks?

(1/2) > >>

Eóin:
Hi all, I'm just wondering are there any nice utilities for discovering wireless networks available or are you limited to the software which comes with the adapter?

I'm asking as my folks are off to USA for a holiday and want to keep in touch with home via Skype. My Dad was just wondering is there a nice app which makes finding available networks quick and simple?

Kind regards,
Eoin.

Carol Haynes:
"Windows Network Connection" will show you if there are any wireless networks available where you are. Just right click on the little connection icon in the system tray and choose "Show Available Wireless Networks".

(By the way I'm pretty sure it is illegal to connect via a wireless network without the owners knowledge and permission.)

mouser:
netstumbler:
http://www.stumbler.net/readme/readme_0_4_0.html

Eóin:
(By the way I'm pretty sure it is illegal to connect via a wireless network without the owners knowledge and permission.)
-Carol Haynes (June 27, 2006, 11:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's a fair point, but there are also open networks out there, such as in hotel lobbies, which you can connect to. I don't think my folks are looking for unprotected networks to abuse :) .

netstumbler
-mouser (June 27, 2006, 12:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, looking into it now.

Carol Haynes:
Fair enough I wasn't implying anything about your parents - just thought it was worth noting in case others got ideas ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version