topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Forum Upgraded August 30, 2015 - Report issues here  (Read 200215 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Forum Upgraded August 30, 2015 - Report issues here
« Reply #200 on: September 03, 2015, 10:11 AM »
You may be looking at an Avast (or other antivirus product) inserted certificate :o
Ath, can you explain, i don't get it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 10:20 AM by mouser »

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #201 on: September 03, 2015, 10:58 AM »
Some AV programs insert their own certificate in your browser and man-in-the-middle your HTTPS connections in order to be able to scan/filter them.

The ones I've seen are usually not using the best encryption, probably because they only serve to re-encrypt the traffic locally for your browser.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #202 on: September 03, 2015, 12:20 PM »
^ Ah okay - you had moved the info-center - I thought you were talking about the default setting.

I still wonder if the info-center / active-thread should be on top in the default setting (I guess it would have to be separated from the other info, but dont know really - must try it at the top myself, see how I like it).

Try it Tom, because at whatever level of fanciness you work on, "nothing else matters". The scripts behind it are Turbo Fast at collecting posts, and if you look at time stamps (in the same area) you know that if you check it 4x a day you're mostly caught up. At worst, if you *know* there's a thread missing like my Ludum Dare adventures, you turn to one of the bigger pages and find it. But it really is damn close to a Golden Mean to keep reg DC folks updated.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #203 on: September 03, 2015, 12:29 PM »
Not sure if it has been reported, but I seem to be missing the indication on icons next to posts that shows I participated in them.

i think i removed these in my effort to streamline and reduce noise..  any thoughts on a good way to bring them back -- assuming folks find them important (i didn't).

i should say there is a nice new page under the Go To menu for showing topics you started or topics you participated in, which i do think is useful.

I'll try this perspective.

There's a "quick post" - someone bangs off an easy note.
But if they hit "Preview" (or hits Post and Modify! I'm *terrible* for that!!*) , it brings up bigger ranges of things ... so go full suite. No shortcuts. Images are kinda a thing here. I for one am so not a fan of Google's "let's strip out a third of your options and make the rest into a gear icon".

So if we get as far as "Preview" or "Post/Modify", then give us a full powered image insertion engine with everything anyone could want in three ways. It's a Penny Wise - Pound Foolish problem. You spent YEARS planning out how to deal with tour growing maze code. So don't go all "slim streamlined because Google made no one want a waist size bigger than 28" approach.

We're DC. You're Mouser, the Minor Deity. You just got the biggest fundraiser in DC history. (Or close). So let's not get too fancy with "you should know how to do X". That's what sinks a lot of small projects. DC is just about to get a notch bigger somehow. So put it in. I posted an example earlier. I couldn't duplicate the ease of the old system with less than 10 min of hard sharp work with keywords.

We like Images (in our own form of moderation). Arizona Hot posts very little else. I've thundered across the web that our Basement is like very little anywhere else on the web and fixes like 30 mod problems. So let's do another one. Put in a full scale Image insertion engine. I was happy with the drop down. But you noticed I had to change my sig and even then it didn't work right.

((Post and Mod. See? I just did it. Because I have been burned WAY too many times working on a post and diff servers have diff time out periods and then your browser crashes and loses it all! Better post part of a comment and tweak it, than wreck your time!)

This Paren is for xkcd fans
)

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #204 on: September 03, 2015, 02:51 PM »
^ Ah okay - you had moved the info-center - I thought you were talking about the default setting.

I still wonder if the info-center / active-thread should be on top in the default setting (I guess it would have to be separated from the other info, but dont know really - must try it at the top myself, see how I like it).
Try it Tom, because at whatever level of fanciness you work on, "nothing else matters". The scripts behind it are Turbo Fast at collecting posts, and if you look at time stamps (in the same area) you know that if you check it 4x a day you're mostly caught up. At worst, if you *know* there's a thread missing like my Ludum Dare adventures, you turn to one of the bigger pages and find it. But it really is damn close to a Golden Mean to keep reg DC folks updated.

Or just use Unread: All and always *know* you're up to date... right? I'm confused why people like the other approach frankly. It seems haphazard. But I've certainly come to realize that my consistent use of Unread: All pages is not really the norm, so maybe I'm the weirdo. :D

- Oshyan

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #205 on: September 03, 2015, 02:52 PM »
You may be looking at an Avast (or other antivirus product) inserted certificate :o
Ath, can you explain, i don't get it.
Some AV programs insert their own certificate in your browser and man-in-the-middle your HTTPS connections in order to be able to scan/filter them.

The ones I've seen are usually not using the best encryption, probably because they only serve to re-encrypt the traffic locally for your browser.
^This.

After the forum-upgrade there where https-issues, then I looked at what FF reported on the certificate, and I saw both SHA-1 and SHA-256 encryption listed. After the https-issues where resolved I didn't check anymore, but now I only see SHA-1 encryption listed, even with Avast https checking enabled :huh: Must have been related to the https-issues then.
The Avast mitm fake-CA reports SHA-256 encryption for itself, though.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #206 on: September 03, 2015, 02:54 PM »
Separating posting my feature/fix request: I am very happy to see images popping up in lightboxes now (though I have yet to see whether images posted "full size" still can cause huge scroll bars in posts, a separate problem that I think needs its own solution). However I think the pop-up should be closeable by simply clicking on the background/outside of the lightbox, as is true in most other lightbox implementations. It increases usability and speed/ease of use quite a lot.

- Oshyan

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #207 on: September 03, 2015, 03:24 PM »
Perhaps not an "issue" with the technical revamping of the forum.  But it may be a good time to comment on something that has struck me.  When looking through New items/posts sometimes I notice something about NANY 2014 or even NANY 2013 in a big headline.  It just seems like it may give a newb the impression that stuff has not been updated for some time.

Like if I go to a programmer's page and see the latest updates for utilities are 2010 then I figure there will not be any more updates.  I wonder if anyone casually perusing for the first time sees the date and just leaves figuring it is old news?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #208 on: September 03, 2015, 06:48 PM »
However I think the pop-up should be closeable by simply clicking on the background/outside of the lightbox, as is true in most other lightbox implementations. It increases usability and speed/ease of use quite a lot.

should be working now.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #209 on: September 03, 2015, 06:48 PM »
Thanks Ath.

In the local FF installation, Tools -> Page Info -> View Certificates brings up a dialog box with two tabs with titles "General" and "Details".  The image you posted looks like it's from (or very similar to) the content of the Details tab.  I was looking at the General tab.

The bottom-most section of the General tab is titled "Fingerprints" and it lists SHA-256 and SHA-1.  May be one or both of those values are computed by the browser and not "extracted" / "obtained" from the ceritifcate?

At any rate, as you pointed out, it seems the certificate only mentions SHA-1, so may be that's not so great in the medium to longer term.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #210 on: September 03, 2015, 07:01 PM »
And I also added an option to bypass the search index on the advanced search form -- this will result in a slower and more thorough search for partial word matches, and is able to search for words less than 4 characters.

Thanks for the option :)

Is it easy to make a link (perhaps an additional one) to the advanced search page have the bypassing index option selected by default?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #211 on: September 03, 2015, 07:07 PM »
Is it easy to make a link (perhaps an additional one) to the advanced search page have the bypassing index option selected by default?

It is now.  Just add a bookmark to:
https://www.donation...dvanced;dc_noindex=1

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #212 on: September 03, 2015, 07:14 PM »
Clicking on that link worked -- thanks :)

Now, what do you think about making a link next to "Click here to search using the Advanced Search form" and have it such that the bypassing is enabled?

Some consequences might include: additional people might try the option and additional people might realize they are trying the option.  I confess to thinking erroneously that clicking on the existing link would enable the option and didn't look to verify.  Shame on me!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #213 on: September 03, 2015, 07:18 PM »
hmm you have a point there -- the text before that link does make one think it will be enabled by default.. let me cogitate on it.

your idea was a good one; implemented.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #214 on: September 03, 2015, 07:29 PM »
I see that following the link has the option checked by default now - thanks!

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #215 on: September 03, 2015, 08:06 PM »
Such speedy updates here, I love it! :)

- Oshyan

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #216 on: September 03, 2015, 08:17 PM »
It's a huge amount of fun to get such good feedback while working on it.  :up:

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #217 on: September 03, 2015, 09:03 PM »
Personally, I think the Custom Options section should be moved under Look and Layout since that's what those options are affecting.

good idea, will do.

Thanks mouser.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #218 on: September 03, 2015, 10:14 PM »

Or just use Unread: All and always *know* you're up to date... right? I'm confused why people like the other approach frankly. It seems haphazard. But I've certainly come to realize that my consistent use of Unread: All pages is not really the norm, so maybe I'm the weirdo. :D

- Oshyan

Maybe not the norm, but it is the approach that I use also. :)

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #219 on: September 04, 2015, 01:47 AM »

- Oshyan

Maybe not the norm, but it is the approach that I use also. :)

Yes, me as well.

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #220 on: September 04, 2015, 02:21 AM »
I am happy with new DC now and posting more messages then DC1 time. May be this new layout and colors attract me more. :)

I am using the "Print" option to read threads now. I have not-so-good net connection and sometimes get to check DC after 2/3 days. So the "print" option gives me all in a long scrollable message view to search and read.

Now the problem is, if I want to quote a message and reply, I again have to go back to normal per page view of messages and search in each page for that message to view and quote.

I hope I could explain above, I myself feel it became complex sentences.

Anyway, my suggestion is if we can give an option like "-allmessagesinonepage" in custom options, and show all the messages in a thread in one long page, without page breaks, it will solve the problem.

Regards,

Anand

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #221 on: September 04, 2015, 12:33 PM »
For the unread topics list I haved switch from using 2 icons in front of each message to using Jibz icon to indicate when you have participated in a topic; it is also now used on the main message list for a board.
Keep in mind the new indicator that shows you have participated in a topic is only shown when the icon for the topic is standard.  Special topic icons will now show such an indicator.

Here's how it looks now:
Screenshot - 9_4_2015 , 12_35_01 PM.png

I think that's ok since we rarely use topic icons other than the default one (in fact normal users are not given the choice of changing the topic icon when they post) -- that's to keep down the visual noise.  I sometimes use a special icon on newsletters and other official announcements.

If we really wanted to show an indicator regardless of the topic icon, we could probably do it by changing to some css that makes use of a small overlay.  Jibz maybe you can make me a tiny transparent image with just your overlay? Or we could use a different overlay image if people think they can improve on the one jibz chose.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #222 on: September 05, 2015, 09:01 AM »
 ...picture is worth 1k words

orangeapple 60.pngForum Upgraded August 30, 2015 - Report issues here

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #223 on: September 05, 2015, 04:14 PM »
will we again have a button, making colourful posts?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #224 on: September 05, 2015, 09:36 PM »
will we again have a button, making colourful posts?

I hope not :)

A bug I've found... when you quoted on the old site a post that had images, it would put in the post see prior post for images (paraphrased, I don't remember the verbiage) with a link to the post.  Now it just says [Invalid Attachment].