topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 10:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Buy a mystery game with GOG's Indie Piñatas!  (Read 6357 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Buy a mystery game with GOG's Indie Piñatas!
« on: September 11, 2015, 11:51 AM »
GOG is currently running a promotion where you buy a "piñata" for $3 and it will contain a random indie game ranging in value from $9.99 to $44.99.

While their "randomization" algorithm gives priority to games you don't already own, if you happen to get a game you do already own, it will be a giftable copy.

They're also running a regular sale where certain games are discounted a certain amount.

http://www.gog.com/

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Buy a mystery game with GOG's Indie Piñatas!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 12:04 PM »
My thoughts when I first thought about that were "There are quite a few games that I'd buy for $3, so until I get those, I'm staying away from RNGs.  They just don't like me."  ;D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 02:33 PM »
Yeah, it's an interesting promotion. I kind of like the idea of it, though I don't think I'll be participating in it this time. As little as $3 is, this month's budget is already stressed out enough as it is without spending money on what is essentially gambling for a good game.

There's a part of it that seems like a capsule machine. Stick in a quarter, get a capsule with a toy! Except in this case it's a black box. You don't get to see your potential prizes. If they listed all the possible results, I might be able to make a more informed decision as to whether or not to play the game.

But for now it seems like throwing $3 into a black hole and hoping something good comes out.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 03:59 PM »
But for now it seems like throwing $3 into a black hole and hoping something good comes out.

Exactly.  I'm playing endgame in ESO and SWTOR right now, which is basically do the same thing every day, and get a random prize.

RNG's really don't like me.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 04:25 PM »
I haven't bought, but I like that you get a small burst of confetti when you hit the "piñata" to buy the random game.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 10:49 PM »
I just stuck a quarter into the pinata prize machine, and out popped the game Outlast. Kinda wish there was a customize feature. I don't really care for horror games much. At least it was only $3, and I didn't have to pay the $19.99 that Outlast actually costs (Current price on steam as of writing this.)
[Insert really cool signature here]

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 11:32 PM »
For something like this you should always buy as a 'gift' to make it easier to sell/trade/give away if you don't like it. If you do like it, you can always redeem the gift code yourself.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 12:31 AM »
I read the text a bit more carefully and determined a clue as to what games are available in the capsule machine: Any game that's currently on sale on GOG is not in the piñata. But every few days they'll switch the deals around so maybe if you see a game you want on sale today, you have a chance of getting it in a piñata on another day.

For something like this you should always buy as a 'gift' to make it easier to sell/trade/give away if you don't like it. If you do like it, you can always redeem the gift code yourself.

The question is, does that make the piñata the gift? Or in other words, does the piñata have to be claimed to an account before the game inside is revealed? Or can you use the gifting method to find out what the game is before you decide which account to send it to?

I just stuck a quarter into the pinata prize machine, and out popped the game Outlast. Kinda wish there was a customize feature. I don't really care for horror games much. At least it was only $3, and I didn't have to pay the $19.99 that Outlast actually costs (Current price on steam as of writing this.)

Hmm... GOG has a 30-day money-back guarantee. I wonder if it works with the piñata promotion as well.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 02:51 AM »
The question is, does that make the piñata the gift? Or in other words, does the piñata have to be claimed to an account before the game inside is revealed? Or can you use the gifting method to find out what the game is before you decide which account to send it to?

I'm not sure, but I would have guessed that the game is revealed when you get the gift code.

Hmm... GOG has a 30-day money-back guarantee. I wonder if it works with the piñata promotion as well.

From some posts in the forum, GOG will refund (as long as you have not downloaded, I think) or turn the game into a gift code if you ask support to do so.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 09:27 AM »
I just looked at their FAQ, and it looks like the 30 day money back guarantee is for if you are having problems with the game. You first contact tech support, and if they can't help you get the game working, then they will refund your purchase.
[Insert really cool signature here]