topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: First impression of Win10. Google - Material Design  (Read 4010 times)

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
First impression of Win10. Google - Material Design
« on: August 25, 2015, 11:42 AM »
To keep DC forum mesg small, I have made webpage with the supportive images.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wd2lfEe_IG5H-JFbg6fvVeCki7RyQvP4fetLh7lS6dw/pub

First impression of Win10. Google - Material Design.
Yes this is what I saw from login screen to desktop. MS is following Google.

First good news.
FARR runs, hurray. :D
All my apps run without any error, I can sleep peacefully. :)

Now not so good news.
Login photo now in round frame just like Google+. Why ? MS following Google !!
Tray icons black and white clipart. Hard to understand which is what. Who told MS that users are color blind ?? :tellme:
Windows title became white, same as body, no separation mark / line etc. Looks like MS is copying material design of Google but forgot that Android apps do not have a title bar which user need to click and drag to move the window. :down:
Start menu looks like a dark menu bar attached with a WinPhone with those tile apps. :huh:
All icons in task bar now show smaller in size. Bigger icon in Win 8.1 was easier to see.
Settings looks like a webpage, flat. This is advancement ??

But the the killer is child window display. My program which has a main window and child windows for entry, report etc. show very odd. It shows WinXp button in child windows !! :mad:

More news.
Solitaire exist and it is free.
Cortana disabled in India, so will know after I meet her.

I understand that Win10 is work in progress. So many of the problems may get fixed in auto updates. I also understand that MS think most user are in Android so are habituated to seeing such windows.

But like most users, I also request MS to understand desktop users too.
http://www.codeproject.com/Lounge.aspx?msg=5114704#xx5114704xx

Regards,

Anand

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: First impression of Win10. Google - Material Design
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 02:28 PM »
Cortana disabled in India, so will know after I meet her.

Regards,
Anand

This caught my attention as being very odd. I can see if certain accents may not get good voice responses or whatever, but "Cortana is disabled in India"?! What does that even mean (not the sentence), but why disable software for India?!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 02:34 PM »
But the the killer is child window display. My program which has a main window and child windows for entry, report etc. show very odd. It shows WinXp button in child windows !! :mad:

that would be my nightmare (I seriously hated the XP theme) - but it's actually the Windows 7 theme:

Screenshot - 2015-08-25 , 21_26_53.png

that's your screenshot (enlarged) in browser in Windows 7. Still a pretty dysfunctional theme mix ;-)
(FWIW, I actually like the flat Windows 8 *desktop* theme)

But like most users, I also request MS to understand desktop users too.
http://www.codeproject.com/Lounge.aspx?msg=5114704#xx5114704xx

that does not sound good - pretty damning actually...
Tom

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 08:07 PM »
http://www.microsoft...c&topic=FA144268

FAQ - I cannot enable Cortana alpha in India. How do I get it work?
Share in Facebook
Tweet
In this way you can get Cortana’s alpha version working on your phone in India.

First of all, you need to have Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1, check your phone OS version from Settings > about > more information. You will need OS version 8.10.14141.167 or later. Try to get an update from Settings > phone update > check for updates if required.

Then, set your phone to the correct region, language and select English (UK) speech language:

Region - India,
Language- English (India)
Speech language - English (UK)
To do that, follow the steps below:

Select Settings > region, tap Country/Region, select India and tap restart phone if required.
Select Settings > language. If English (India) appears on the language settings screen, long tap on it and select move up. Or add a new language: Tap + add languages, select English (India), tap done and finally tap Yes to start downloading. This change requires restart, tap restart phone.
Select Settings > speech, tap Speech language and select English (United Kingdom). Tap Yes to start downloading and track its status from Settings > phone update. Once the speech package is downloaded, tap install and your phone will automatically restart.
Wait for your phone to install the update, during that you will see gears rotating on the screen for up to 10 minutes.
Once ready, a new screen stating that the update is completed. Tap done, and go to Settings > speech, tap Speech language and select English (United Kingdom). 
When your phone is set to the correct region, language and speech language, go to Cortana by pressing the Search key. You will see two Cortana acknowledgement screens, where you will need to review the info and accept the conditions for using the Cortana alpha version.

Want to disable it?

Disabling is easy. Just change your phone's language back to English (India) and Cortana will disappear. When you tap on the Search key, you would get Bing search instead.