ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How Much RAM? 4GB vs. 8GB vs. 16GB Performance - TechSpot

<< < (3/4) > >>

40hz:
Once performance is adequately addressed it's time to think about convenience. For the last 5 or so years I've made it my practice to almost always max out the installed RAM. With servers in a multiuser environment, it's definitely the way you want to go.

BGM:
I provision a LOT of computers and my policy is to never release any machine with less than 6GB RAM.  Of course more is better, but that is my bare minimumum.  If I handle a computer with less, then I always upgrade if possible.

JavaJones:
Having more RAM is actually mostly *not* about raw performance, although it obviously has an effect as you can see in those benchmarks. The problem with their testing is it was purely performance-oriented and thus was single-task, which of course is the most reliable way to get consistent benchmark results. It does not, however, address common and average use cases. It's only *really* valid if you're the kind of user who closes every application before you game, for example, and never does more than one thing at a time. Me? I have Chrome open with 38 tabs and I'm not going to close it just to play a game for an hour. I *might* close Lightroom or other applications, if I wasn't in the middle of something, but I have 32GB of RAM so I don't *have* to. ;) RAM is not at its cheapest point now, sure, but it's still pretty inexpensive and so I see little reason to recommend less than 16GB of RAM to *anyone*. You don't have to be a power user to benefit from it at some point, especially with ever-increasing complexity of web pages and all applications in general.

- Oshyan

kyrathaba:
I'm running 6GB RAM on one of my Windows PCs, 8 GB on the other. Like BGM, I wouldn't go less than 6.

Curt:
Forgive me for talking about things I don't understand.

Every time I explore my collections of music, videos and pictures, using Windows 10 Explorer, I will get disappointed with both Windows and my computer (4GB RAM) because of the ever so slow process of updating picture, video, audio, -thumbnails, icons and data.

The slowness makes me dream about lots of extra memory sticks for my machine. It makes me imagine that I can add the picture thumbnails and icons and mp3 data into memory. Can I? Isn't the idea of RAMDisk programs (or eBoostr) that you can take some of your RAM and allocate it, say especially to icons and media files etcetera? How can I ever need only 4 GB RAM? I would expect 64GB to be much better... I know I certainly have a need for more RAM, when I explore my media collections!

1)  Dataram RAMDisk
RAMDisk creates a virtual RAM drive, or block of memory, which your computer treats as if it were a disk drive. By storing files and programs into memory, you can speed up internet load times and disk-to-disk.

2) eBoostrâ„¢, working as an alternative solution to ReadyBoost and SuperFetch technologies, implements a different advanced approach to use flash memory to speed up your computer.
--- End quote ---
:tellme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version