ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

New Computer

<< < (5/5)

Stoic Joker:
Can someone explain to me how to get VMs to work using with that Hyper-V stuff?-Deozaan (September 17, 2015, 03:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Can you give us a specific case scenario, with the errant behavior and error messages?

Some of the older stuff won't/can't function in/with Hyper-V ... But anything x64 should be fine. Have you done the install add-ons from the action menu of the VM?

Also sometimes for the transition you need to set the VM's OS to detect HAL (in msconfig) before moving it to get it to play nice with the new interpretation of the hardware.

f0dder:
And I need the extra speed of the stripped NLSAS for the Hyper-V VMs, but wanted the safety net of parity also. Not to mention that I've seen these controllers do mirroring...performance is not impressive (read horrid).-Stoic Joker (September 17, 2015, 07:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
Weird - 3x1TB mirroing ought to perform better than RAID5 (for some workloads)... reads can be fully striped, even if writes have to go fully to all drives, but don't require the seek overhead of parity.

I don't care much about the non-Redundancy parts of RAID, though :)

Deozaan:
Can someone explain to me how to get VMs to work using with that Hyper-V stuff?-Deozaan (September 17, 2015, 03:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
Can you give us a specific case scenario, with the errant behavior and error messages?-Stoic Joker (September 17, 2015, 05:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

While searching to find the previous "solution" that didn't really solve anything for me, I found this bug report which almost exactly describes my issue:

I had several 64-bit guests (Ubuntu desktop, server, and Windows 2012 R2 server) that ran on my system (Windows 7 ultimate OS, i7 CPU w/16 GB RAM host) successfully with VBox 5.0. I upgraded to Windows 10 and everything broke. I am using VBox 5.0.3 test build now and have gotten my network adapters to work again, but now I'm seeing another issue that is preventing my VM's from running. I can not see a 64-bit guest OS listed as an option (Windows server 2012 isn't listed anymore). This is for my old VM's - they are still have that from when they were running on a Win 7 host but if you look at settings it tries to change it to a 32-bit guest OS and you don't have the option to select a 64-bit guest OS if you try to create a new VM. When I try to start any of my VM's I get an error message about no VT-x available:

--- ---Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Anduril.

VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}-https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/14550
--- End quote ---

And at the bottom of the bug report was a suggested fix which worked for me:

VT-x is most likely not available because Hyper-V is enabled for some reason on your Windows 10 host. Try with

--- ---bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
from a command prompt in Administrator mode.-https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/14550#comment:2
--- End quote ---

All I had left to do was reboot, and now my 64-bit VMs work again! :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version