ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

New Computer

<< < (4/5) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Nice, but "1TB Raid5"?

Why Raid5, especially for such a small volume?
-f0dder (September 16, 2015, 01:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

I like RAID5, it has server me well in the past. And I need the extra speed of the stripped NLSAS for the Hyper-V VMs, but wanted the safety net of parity also. Not to mention that I've seen these controllers do mirroring...performance is not impressive (read horrid). My workstation here at the office is (identical except for disk configuration) a single disk, which goes straight to its knees when I get a few VMs going, especially if one of them decides to pull something cute like indexing or updates. On the RAID5 array I had 3 VMs (Vista, 7, and 8.1) all doing updates at the same time, and the drive was still responsive.

I've already got 2 physical servers (08R2 & 12R2) running on the home network so - massive - storage space wasn't a design requirement ... Performance on a budget however was.. ;)

40hz:
I like RAID5, it has server me well in the past. And I need the extra speed of the stripped NLSAS for the Hyper-V VMs, but wanted the safety net of parity also. Not to mention that I've seen these controllers do mirroring...performance is not impressive (read horrid). My workstation here at the office is (identical except for disk configuration) a single disk, which goes straight to its knees when I get a few VMs going, especially if one of them decides to pull something cute like indexing or updates. On the RAID5 array I had 3 VMs (Vista, 7, and 8.1) all doing updates at the same time, and the drive was still responsive.
-Stoic Joker (September 17, 2015, 07:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wow! When I first read that I said to myself: "Can that be right?"

Then I thought about everything I was routinely running multiple VMs on, and realized they were all server grade boxes with RAID5. And those few times when I invoked multiple VM instances on a single drive machine I too ran into exactly those issues you mentioned.

Never though of it in that context since you always hear how much of a performance drag (in theory) RAID5 can be. Even if that's mostly from the gaming SSD crowd.

But I never once thought of using RAID5 more as a response enhancer for VMs. Good thing I already was without knowing it. "Sometimes better lucky than smart," as my grandfather used to say. :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead:
"Sometimes better lucky than smart," as my grandfather used to say
-40hz (September 17, 2015, 08:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
If I had a grandfather he would probably have said to me:  "If you're so smart why can't you get lucky?"  :)

Deozaan:
Can someone explain to me how to get VMs to work using with that Hyper-V stuff?

I had plenty of VMs working just fine using VirtualBox in Windows 7 x64, but once I updated to Windows 10, none of my x64 VMs work anymore because the included Windows 10 Hyper-V thing is using some needed thing that VirtualBox can no longer get access to.

I've tried Googling for an answer but the only "solution" I've found is to no longer use x64 VMs, but rather to use the 32-bit versions instead. . .

MilesAhead:
Can someone explain to me how to get VMs to work using with that Hyper-V stuff?

I had plenty of VMs working just fine using VirtualBox in Windows 7 x64, but once I updated to Windows 10, none of my x64 VMs work anymore because the included Windows 10 Hyper-V thing is using some needed thing that VirtualBox can no longer get access to.

I've tried Googling for an answer but the only "solution" I've found is to no longer use x64 VMs, but rather to use the 32-bit versions instead. . .
-Deozaan (September 17, 2015, 03:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know if W10 is much different than W8(which is what I have.. W8.0 64 bit) in that regard.  I have had no problem creating x64 VMs using VMWare Player 7.x.  In fact if the iso image is a Windows DVD image it knows what to do right away.  All you should need to do is accept the defaults unless you wish to make the VM image file one contiguous file rather than expanding it dynamically as needed.  Once you have Windows installed then you want to install the VMWare Tools so you can drag and drop directly from the host OS desktop into the VM instead of copying files in via network etc..

Edit: They changed the product name and their site around so I cannot find a link to the free version.  But the free version is all you need. 

Edit2:  Also if you have the VM images and don't want to do all that work over again there may be a Box to Player converter on the VMWare site.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version