ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

New Computer

<< < (3/5) > >>

MilesAhead:
Fair enough, I like working on motorcycles for much the same reason.
-Stoic Joker (August 21, 2015, 06:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Now it all makes sense.  I was wondering why every time I wanted to use another core on one of your builds I had to pull the clutch lever and toe the peg up one.  :)

f0dder:
Nice, but "1TB Raid5"?

Why Raid5, especially for such a small volume?

TaoPhoenix:
Nice, but "1TB Raid5"?

Why Raid5, especially for such a small volume?
-f0dder (September 16, 2015, 01:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hey, y'all wanna just put in a two-paragraph explanation of what this even means so non-techies like me can pretend to know what this even means?

What is Raid 5, why would it be odd for "such a small volume", why didn't you just get a bigger HD (where this config might make sense?), and why not a second HD as well besides the existing base SSD? My box is aging too, but I have a dual 1-TB set of HD's from 2006, so I thought they'd be up to something like 4-6 TB by now per each hard drive. Or for at least one hard drive if you went that route, why 1TB? Why not bigger?

TaoPhoenix:
So it's time to put my now mildly arcane decade old flagship (Spunky-V) ...
-Stoic Joker (August 19, 2015, 07:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Heh "Hey Spunky-V, say hi to my Twilight!"  (The end of XP, Mission Accomplished!)

;D

f0dder:
Hey, y'all wanna just put in a two-paragraph explanation of what this even means so non-techies like me can pretend to know what this even means?-TaoPhoenix (September 16, 2015, 01:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
Raid5 is a RAID mode using parity. TL;DR is "requires at least three disks, can survive death of one single disk".

It's a mode that never made terribly much sense to me, given the amount of horror stories I've heard of a second drive dying while you're trying to rebuild your array after one disk failed - the rebuilding process is pretty disk intensive.

For a volume as small as 1TB, I'd personally just run a mirror with two disks - or heck, if the data was important enough, three disks :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version