ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

New Computer

<< < (2/5) > >>

wraith808:
But I do like your box!  But... why are they advertising the video as ATI?  And I have had problems before with workstation graphics for non-workstation use.  You get strange errors sometimes...-wraith808 (August 19, 2015, 12:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks. I'm not sure what you're driving at on the ATi part, the base configuration came with no video card. So I picked the ATi W5100 out of their available line up, because that's what came in the Z420 workstation I have at the office ... And I've been running ATI video since XP x64.

-Stoic Joker (August 19, 2015, 06:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh... I was just saying because ATI doesn't exist anymore.  In fact, if you go to the AMD website, it's advertised as AMD.  It was just idle curiosity.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/workstation/firepro-3d/5100#

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8371/amd-firepro-w7100-w5100-w4100-w2100

They're nice cards.  It's just my own bias against using WS cards for Non-WS work from my work in a former life as a QA analyst.  Consumer appplications sometimes get weird results on WS grade cards in my experience.  But that was mostly for multimedia... and just, again, idle musings.

Stoic Joker:
But I do like your box!  But... why are they advertising the video as ATI?  And I have had problems before with workstation graphics for non-workstation use.  You get strange errors sometimes...-wraith808 (August 19, 2015, 12:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks. I'm not sure what you're driving at on the ATi part, the base configuration came with no video card. So I picked the ATi W5100 out of their available line up, because that's what came in the Z420 workstation I have at the office ... And I've been running ATI video since XP x64.

-Stoic Joker (August 19, 2015, 06:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh... I was just saying because ATI doesn't exist anymore.  In fact, if you go to the AMD website, it's advertised as AMD.  It was just idle curiosity.-wraith808 (August 19, 2015, 08:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh Yeah...that ... I've been calling them ATi for so many years, I just keep forgetting about the name change.

They're nice cards.  It's just my own bias against using WS cards for Non-WS work from my work in a former life as a QA analyst.  Consumer appplications sometimes get weird results on WS grade cards in my experience.  But that was mostly for multimedia... and just, again, idle musings.-wraith808 (August 19, 2015, 08:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I get where you're coming from, but I'm not really a "consumer applications" kind of guy... :D So it fits for my intended usage. I want to run 3 monitors so I can spread out the VM's, I never play video games, and I watch TV...(Gasp!)...on a TV. ;)

Innuendo:
I'm an odd one....I build PCs not to save any money or for any performance benefit. I build them because it relaxes me.  :huh:

Renegade:
Beats the new box I got.

I got frustrated trying to find what I wanted and just went out and bought one.

Stoic Joker:
I'm an odd one....I build PCs not to save any money or for any performance benefit. I build them because it relaxes me.  :huh:-Innuendo (August 20, 2015, 10:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Fair enough, I like working on motorcycles for much the same reason.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version