ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

New Computer

(1/5) > >>

Stoic Joker:
So it's time to put my now mildly arcane decade old flagship (Spunky-V) out to pasture. And to that end I got an HP Z440 Workstation (Base Package: L0P72UT#ABA) through the company. In years past I always built my own...but I just don't have time to do all the research necessary to effectively play the price point razor edge of leading/cutting edge hardware. So... since we're an HP ASP -(making a huge discount an option)- I decided to go - the lazy route - with a semi customized packaged box that had all the hardware matched for me.

Here be the Specs:
CPU: 6 core Xeon ES-1650 v3 (Turbos to 3.8GHz)
RAM: 16GB
Video: ATi W5100 (with 4 DisplayPort outputs)
OS Drive: 256GB SSD
Storage Drive: 1TB RAID5 array.

I'm a bit nervous about the SSD ... But time will tell - At least it comes with a 3 year warranty..

mouser:
Looks awesome to me.

40hz:
…In years past I always built my own...but I just don't have time to do all the research necessary to effectively play the price point razor edge of leading/cutting edge hardware…
-Stoic Joker (August 19, 2015, 07:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Et tu Stoic?

Same here. Unless it's something that's being purpose built, customization makes more sense than custom-building these days. The 'bang for the buck' is usually very competitive or better than a custom build would be. And you get a warranty. Plus a copy of Windows (if you're still using it :P) at the cheapest price point that's generally available.

But that's part of the ageing process I guess. Unnecessarily sweating technical details and pulling ones hair out no longer seems as much fun as it used to for some odd reason.

Anyway, that box sounds pretty sweet. Rock it for all it's worth.

wraith808:
^ Same here.  At one point, I was building computers for friends, family...  then I started doing it only if they paid me.  Then I switched to doing it for myself only.  Then I only cracked them open to upgrade.  Now I'm at the point of someone needing to pay me in order to get me to crack open my own case.  I really hate hardware now.

But I do like your box!  But... why are they advertising the video as ATI?  And I have had problems before with workstation graphics for non-workstation use.  You get strange errors sometimes...

Stoic Joker:
But I do like your box!  But... why are they advertising the video as ATI?  And I have had problems before with workstation graphics for non-workstation use.  You get strange errors sometimes...-wraith808 (August 19, 2015, 12:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks. I'm not sure what you're driving at on the ATi part, the base configuration came with no video card. So I picked the ATi W5100 out of their available line up, because that's what came in the Z420 workstation I have at the office ... And I've been running ATI video since XP x64.

On a side note, I'm posting this using IE5 on a freshly installed Windows 2000 (SP4) VM running on the new machine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version