topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:18 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Brightness Settings Reversing - No apparent reason.  (Read 4394 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Brightness Settings Reversing - No apparent reason.
« on: August 18, 2015, 08:42 PM »
Over the past few weeks (Before upgrading to Windows 10 and since the upgrade) my laptop has been acting rather odd.  When I close the lid (Which puts her into hibernate) or reboot the laptop, the brightness settings reverse.  It happens regardless of if I am using mains power or battery...If my brightness settings were full when I shut the lid, when I open it, I have a black screen and have to turn brightness DOWN for it to be UP...then if I reboot/shut the lid and open it, it will do it all over again.

Laptop is an Acer Aspire E 15 (E5-51-C619) - My Mrs has one of these as well, though she hasn't had this issue (still on Windows 8.1 on here, but since my problems started whilst on 8.1, I doubt that's really important).  I haven't installed anything in ages other than Win 10 (Except for one Windows Store game which I added after the problem started) and have not uninstalled anything except for Fallout: NV, which was yesterday via Steam.  Checked for Malware/Spyware/Viruses etc, nothing detected -_-

Needless to say, I am very confused.  Anybody have any sort of clues as to why this is happening?

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Brightness Settings Reversing - No apparent reason.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 09:28 PM »
Poltergeist

:P

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 01:42 AM »
...Needless to say, I am very confused. ...

Me too, perpetually.
You have my sympathies.
Disregard @rgdot's silly comment about "Poltergeist" - maybe he's got his pills mixed up, otherwise his technical causal problem analysis skills would seem to be clearly lacking. Still, you could try exorcism if you feel he might be on the right track, I suppose.     :o

It does sound like an unusual problem though - at any rate, I don't recall having heard of it before now. I tried this search: Brightness settings reversing on Acer Aspire
Not sure if there's anything useful there. Your query on DC forum comes up in the list.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 10:12 AM »
...Needless to say, I am very confused. ...

Me too, perpetually.
You have my sympathies.
Disregard @rgdot's silly comment about "Poltergeist" - maybe he's got his pills mixed up, otherwise his technical causal problem analysis skills would seem to be clearly lacking. Still, you could try exorcism if you feel he might be on the right track, I suppose.     :o

It does sound like an unusual problem though - at any rate, I don't recall having heard of it before now. I tried this search: Brightness settings reversing on Acer Aspire
Not sure if there's anything useful there. Your query on DC forum comes up in the list.

Yep. can't find a damn thing about it haha - Nothing on Google, nothing on Acers forums, nothing even remotely close to it...very odd lol

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 10:35 AM »
Disregard @rgdot's silly comment about "Poltergeist" - maybe he's got his pills mixed up, otherwise his technical causal problem analysis skills would seem to be clearly lacking.

That's not news  ;D

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 10:42 AM »
Are the Acer power-management tools/drivers/add-ons installed? They caused similar behavior on a slow Acer laptop I serviced few weeks ago, where this happened when the Acer-'enhanced' power-setting was enabled. Switching to a standard power-scheme fixed it for me.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 06:18 PM »
Are the Acer power-management tools/drivers/add-ons installed? They caused similar behavior on a slow Acer laptop I serviced few weeks ago, where this happened when the Acer-'enhanced' power-setting was enabled. Switching to a standard power-scheme fixed it for me.

No too sure off hand if they are installed, but the power settings don't (seem to) change at all no matter if I am plugged in or on battery (I set the power options to do that awhile ago whilst troubleshooting another issue that would make the laptop lag o hell when it was plugged in)