topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: RightNote 50% discount to August 31  (Read 5889 times)

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
RightNote 50% discount to August 31
« on: August 18, 2015, 07:59 AM »
There's no special link for this, but my favourite bit of note-taking software is on sale (50% discount) to the end of the month.

Seems to be a reasonably regular offer but it's my favourite structured note organiser (the other one I use and rely on is Cintanotes, for what it's worth) so I thought I'd mention it here.

http://bauerapps.com/rightnote/

-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.

Scott_Y

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: RightNote 50% discount to August 31
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 09:45 AM »
I have tried many notebook programs over the years, and RightNote is one of the very best. So good, in fact, that I settled on it and stopped my quest for the elusive "ideal" note organizer program. I recommend it highly.

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 11:56 AM »
What Scotty says!

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 02:30 PM »
I settled on Surfulater (SUL) long ago, and I like it very much.  there are two things that it doesn't do that I really, really miss:

- spell checking
  - synchronization of databases across different machines (using either the network or a USB drive is fine)

I'm not looking forward to testing out a new note-taker app, especially since I think that the next version of SUL(the cloud-based "clibu") will probably be what I ultimately want.

Does anyone who currently uses RightNote (particularly if they have experience with SUL) think that I should take a closer look at RightNote?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 03:27 PM »
I settled on Surfulater (SUL) long ago, and I like it very much.  there are two things that it doesn't do that I really, really miss:
  - spell checking
  - synchronization of databases across different machines (using either the network or a USB drive is fine)

I'm not looking forward to testing out a new note-taker app, especially since I think that the next version of SUL(the cloud-based "clibu") will probably be what I ultimately want.
Does anyone who currently uses RightNote (particularly if they have experience with SUL) think that I should take a closer look at RightNote?

Just a hasty reply from me.
My primary PIM  (Personal Information Manager) is MS OneNote (part of the $10 MS Office Pro Corporate Home Use licence), and my secondary PIM is an old IS8 (InfoSelect 8.).
I don't use RN (RightNote), but being as I suffer from CRIMP** I am trialing the RN Pro version right now, motivated by this special offer.
Initial thoughts are that RN seems to be a very good 2 or 3-pane PIM (Personal Information Manager), hierarchical outliner and notetaking tool, and is much improved from when I last trialed it a few years ago, and now also seems able to cope with embedded/attached files quite well. If the RN search/index functionality (seems a bit kludgy) works out OK in the trial, then It looks like it might be good enough for me to replace IS8 with, which latter PIM I have used for years and not moved on to the later versions as they don't meet my peculiar requirements.

However one of my main requirements is faithful webpage capture functionality, and said functionality in RN seems to be there but somewhat mediocre at best. One thing it does have that seems to be excellent however is an import utility for Scrapbook collections - Scrapbook uses the WebPageDump code (developed by the Scrapbook developers) for webpage capture, which sets the de facto base standard for this functionality and is why, for example, it is included in the excellent Zotero PIM and reference management tool - which I have also been trialing for a couple of months together with Wezinc.

Another requirement of mine is to be desktop-based, reliable and entirely under my control. The old and excellent SUL (Surfulater) was probably as good at webpage capture as WebPageDump (I don't know), but I lost interest in SUL when its development was dropped in favour of the Cloud-based Clibu. Recent developments and failures in so-called Safe & Secure™ Cloud-based services have merely served to reinforce my requirements in that regard.

**CRIMP defined
Posted by Stephen Zeoli
May 10, 2006 at 01:05 PM

CRIMP stands for a make-believe malady called compulsive-reactive information management purchasing. Symptoms include:
   • never being satisfied with your current system of information management
   • continuously being on the look-out for something newer and better
   • purchasing every new PIM program you learn about
   • and secretly hoping you won’t find the perfect PIM, because then you’d have to stop looking for a better one

So, when someone speaks of succumbing to his or her CRIMP, it means acknowledging that they’ve purchased another PIM program even though they really don’t think they need it.
There must be a 12-step program for over-coming CRIMP, but who really wants to? It’s too much fun.
Steve Z.
From <http://www.outlinersoftware.com/topics/viewt/17/0/crimp-defined>

nevf

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Clibu, accessible knowledge
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 02:28 AM »
@IainB FYI my plan is to have several Clibu package options, including one where you will be able to install it on your local PC along with your data. This is to satisfy the needs of folks who prefer not to have content in the cloud.

Please do try Clibu and tell us what you want from it as feedback is so important in helping us deliver a product that solves real issues, well.
Neville Franks, Clibu a better way to collect, use, manage and share information across all devices.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 01:09 PM »
RightNote is once again 50% off for new licenses (Standard or Pro) until december 24, 2015.  Upgrading a V.2 license to V.3 is 50% off anyway, so no deal there.