topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: What's up with WinPatrol?  (Read 12463 times)

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What's up with WinPatrol?
« on: August 16, 2015, 01:05 PM »
So, I was looking to update WinPatrol on an old machine, and went to the website, but got blocked by safe browsing filter in Firefox. I skipped past it, assuming it was some kind of error, and noticed MBAM blocking access to some site while it was loading. I switched to Chrome, and the site was blocked there too :huh:.

All the downloads appeared to be from c-net now, so I figured I could wait with updating till I figured out what was going on.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What's up with WinPatrol?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 01:20 PM »
There are tweets going back to Aug10 with same.  https://twitter.com/...s/630764063702839296

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 01:35 PM »
Funny.  I upgraded just a bit before then.  Then again if you have phishing protection enabled in chrome browser and download one of my programs it asks effectively "You sure you want to download that?  Nobody else is."  :)

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 01:40 PM »
I know that BillP isn't the developer of WinPatrol anymore, but his Twitter feed talks about Google 'red-listing' his freeware (taskcatcher?) starting on August 10:

Google tells me "Yes, this site has hosted malicious software over the past 90 days. It infected 0 domain(s), including . "

He's not happy with Google/Chrome...

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 01:42 PM »
Yeah... i sent them an e-mail about it, and they said they knew... but not having a person or a direct way to communicate with google had proven very frustrating.  They are in the process of proving that it's a false result... but in the meantime, they're losing sales.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 02:47 PM »
Firefox blocking it too makes it more than Google issue. Unless Firefox use the same list? Last I encountered such issue Firefox wasn't blocking but Chrome was.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 03:26 PM »
I dont have a problem with either site atm using Forefox...
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 03:58 PM »
Downloads suspended due to a false positive by Google.
-WinPrivacy

WinPrivacy is blocked, but no problems concerning WinPatrol from https://www.winpatrol.com/mydownloads/

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 06:50 AM »
Firefox blocking it too makes it more than Google issue. Unless Firefox use the same list? Last I encountered such issue Firefox wasn't blocking but Chrome was.

I use Web Of Trust on both but I get blocks on sites that show green in search so perhaps it is uBlock Origin, at least in FF.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 10:30 PM »
Didn't have any trouble accessing anything on the site while using Pale Moon equipped with AdGuard 5.10 (which will block sites it deems to be malicious).

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 02:42 AM »
Google has a False Positive on our WinPrivacy installer. Yet, if you look on Virus Total (A site owned by Google), you will find our software is clean.
-WinPrivacy
2015-08-21_093149.png
The problem is that the group responsible for detecting “Potentially Unwanted Programs” is sequestered from the outside world. There is absolutely no way we’ve been able to find to contact them and from communication with people in the security industry we are not alone in being falsely accused by Google with no way to appeal.

Even using Google’s Web Master Tools does not give a software vendor a way of appealing a false positive.
-WinPrivacy
2015-08-21_093255.png
Because of this false positive, we have moved the WinPrivacy installer to our site at winpatroltogo.com to prevent customers from being blocked from our PLUS data.

However before you can download, you will need to disable the over zealous security in Chrome and regrettably now in Firefox as well (starting with V40) first.
You can disable the warning messages in Chrome as follows:

Open Chrome and go into Settings by clicking on the icon upper right that looks like 3 horizontal lines
    Scroll to the bottom and click on Advanced
    Uncheck the box “Enable phishing & malware protection

That’s it.
-WinPrivacy
03.png
You can disable the warning messages in Firefox as follows:

Click on the three horizontal lines located in the upper-right of the screen
    Select Options
    Next, click on “Security” in the left hand menu
    In the General section, uncheck “Block reported attack sites”

We are sorry for this inconvenience, but in the end this is because of Google and their insistence to hide behind the Internet and automation and refusal to interact with human beings. If you do not like this inconvenience, uninstall Chrome and uninstall Firefox.
-WinPrivacy

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 09:08 AM »
Thanks for the replies everybody :-*.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 02:14 PM »
However before you can download, you will need to disable the over zealous security in Chrome and regrettably now in Firefox as well (starting with V40) first.

One more reason to not use those browsers.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 05:06 PM »
it all depends on various settings; I have not had any problems downloading WinPatrol or WinPrivacy, using Firefox 40.0.2

Joe Hone

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 08:39 AM »
I've been trying the Slimjet version of Chrome for several months and it has no issues with WinPatrol or WinPrivacy downloads/updates.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 09:45 AM »
I've been trying the Slimjet version of Chrome for several months and it has no issues with WinPatrol or WinPrivacy downloads/updates.

The site is fine currently.  At least in Chrome

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 01:05 PM »

Slimjet looks interesting.  But I don't see a quickie way to import Bookmarks Toolbar or the whole Bookmarks shooting match from FF.  Is there a trick to it?

Edit: I am trying the 32 bit portable if that matters.

Edit2:  Never mind.  I overlooked the import menu.  

Edit3:  I like it.  Kind of like Mustang browser only a bit better.   :up:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 04:04 PM by MilesAhead »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 10:13 AM »
This thread made me actually install WinPrivacy and WinPatrol. I bought them during the 'last great hurrah because lifetime licenses are going away" and thought maybe I should check to see if the license information they sent me actually works.  ;D

Two things -

First: Holy crap! I can't believe what they are charging for these two programs now! I paid less than half of an annual license fee for one product & got two lifetime licenses.

Second: Holy crap again! These two programs look like their UIs escaped from the early 90s.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2015, 12:04 PM »
This thread made me actually install WinPrivacy and WinPatrol. I bought them during the 'last great hurrah because lifetime licenses are going away" and thought maybe I should check to see if the license information they sent me actually works.  ;D

Two things -

First: Holy crap! I can't believe what they are charging for these two programs now! I paid less than half of an annual license fee for one product & got two lifetime licenses.

Second: Holy crap again! These two programs look like their UIs escaped from the early 90s.

Agreed on both.  He tried to make the new one (WinPrivacy) look more modern.  He failed.

But their functionality can't be beat.  It's like having someone looking at your computer while you're using it, and seeing if someone else is trying to screw you and warning you. It can be annoying with the pop ups saying do you want to authorize this... but it's saved me a lot of time fixing the wife and kids computers...