topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: OnLive.com has shut down.......  (Read 5934 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OnLive.com has shut down.......
« on: August 16, 2015, 07:31 AM »
Well....Talk about annoyed....Here I am, sat watching crap on Youtube when I see a clip from the early 1900's which gave me a craving to boot up OnLive so I can play some Mafia II (I have bought several games via OnLive) - Much to my disappointment I learned that they have shut down, and because it was a streaming service I no longer have access to the things I paid for...

This...is exactly the reason I fucking HATE not having hard copies...and also the reason I hate this "Always Online" bullshit the games industry force upon us...It will also be the last time I buy a game that doesn't come with a direct download that I can play even if a service shuts down.

After five years of uninterrupted service, the OnLive Game Service comes to an end.
Sony has acquired important parts of OnLive. Due to the sale, all OnLive services were discontinued as of April 30, 2015.

As the first-ever game streaming service of its kind, everyone who has ever played a game using OnLive has contributed to the technology and its evolution in some way. We’re immensely proud of what’s been achieved and extend our heartfelt gratitude to you for being a part of the OnLive Game Service.

Thank you from all of us at –
OL2, Inc. (aka, OnLive)

http://onlive.com/

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: OnLive.com has shut down.......
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 09:47 AM »
Were you on regularly?  I would just be surprised if you paid for content and there wasn't a migration plan put in before 4/30.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 09:50 AM »
Were you on regularly?  I would just be surprised if you paid for content and there wasn't a migration plan put in before 4/30.

I last loaded it up around Feb/March time, and there was absolutely no mention of it (via the client at least).

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 09:57 AM »
I hate to say this, but there has to be a moral in here somewhere...

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 11:07 AM »
This is why I only recommend GOG.com. The game is downloaded direct to your PC, no DRM, it's your forever, and you can log into your account to download the installer any time you wish if you happen to misplace it.

They don't have the Mafia series, though....sorry. :(

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 11:53 AM »
Were you on regularly?  I would just be surprised if you paid for content and there wasn't a migration plan put in before 4/30.

Just because you make the effort to notify everyone and offer a migration plan, doesn't mean that people will pay attention to their e-mail, see it, respond to it appropriately, and in a timely manner.

I work for a company that attempted to migrate their customers from one old platform to a newer, better one, that sent out multiple notices to all of their customers, with a link to click to migrate their old purchases over to their new platform.

Years later, and I am still dealing with having customers emailing us to complain that their old download links don't work any more, having to look up their old purchases in an old system we no longer use (except to look up old purchases of those who never migrated), creating vouchers to import them to our premium service where customers can just login whenever they want and download them again & again, without having to pay again or worry about losing old e-mail receipts with the download links...

And having to toss files related to discontinued products in Dropbox for them to download, because they waited so long that the old outdated books are no longer available in our voucher system.

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 12:20 PM »
Honestly I'd understand and not be offended if you used an expletive.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 03:05 PM »

Just because you make the effort to notify everyone and offer a migration plan, doesn't mean that people will pay attention to their e-mail, see it, respond to it appropriately, and in a timely manner.

Would have been nice if they even did that, but they made no attempt to care.  Those who purchased the onive hardware after April this year got refunded, but that's it!  People who had the premium service for CloudLift at least managed to keep save game files - I just lost everything I ever purchased there.