ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is Windows 10 a trojan?

<< < (8/12) > >>

dr_andus:
As Martin Brinkmann put it:

It appears as if Microsoft designed the Windows 10 upgrade mechanisms in a way that makes it very complicated for users to block the upgrade offer for good on machines running previous versions of Windows.

This persistence is similar to how malware evolves constantly to avoid detection or come back after it has been removed from operating systems.

Microsoft has an interest in getting Windows 10 on as many machines as possible, but the strategies it uses to make that happen are more than annoying to users who don't want to upgrade to the new operating system.
--- End quote ---

xtabber:
And it gets worse!

In a post on the TechNet blog yesterday, titled Making it Easier for Small Businesses to Upgrade to Windows 10, Microsoft announced that:

We will begin to roll out the “Get Windows 10” app to additional devices
  that meet the following criteria, in the US later this month and in
  additional markets shortly thereafter:

- Running and licensed for Windows 7 Pro or Windows 8.1 Pro
  - Configured to receive updates directly from the Windows Update service
    (i.e. updates are not managed by WSUS or System Center Configuration
    Manager on those devices)
  - Joined to an Active Directory domain

Deozaan:
Microsoft is making it easier for Windows 7/8 devices to opt out of the Windows 10 upgrade forever:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/01/microsoft-finally-has-a-proper-way-to-opt-out-of-windows-78-to-windows-10-upgrades/

dr_andus:
Microsoft is making it easier for Windows 7/8 devices to opt out of the Windows 10 upgrade forever:
-Deozaan (January 14, 2016, 10:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

I dunno. I looked at MS's instructions and I didn't find them easy. They involve registry editing, so there is a good change for a non-techie user like me to mess things up:

Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly.
--- End quote ---

Deozaan:
-Deozaan (January 14, 2016, 10:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

I dunno. I looked at MS's instructions and I didn't find them easy. They involve registry editing, so there is a good change for a non-techie user like me to mess things up:

Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly.
--- End quote ---
-dr_andus (January 14, 2016, 11:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

To be somewhat pedantic, easier does not necessarily mean easy. :)

That said, this option for disabling GWX has nothing to do with the registry, and other than the fact it doesn't say how to get to the Group Policy configuration window, it seems fairly simple to follow:

Computer Configuration
To block the upgrade by using Computer Configuration, follow these steps:

* Click Computer Configuration.
* Click Policies.
* Click Administrative Templates.
* Click Windows Components.
* Click Windows Update.
* Double-click Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update.
* Click Enable.Policy path: Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Update Policy
Setting: Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update-https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version