ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is Windows 10 a trojan?

<< < (6/12) > >>

tomos:
It's not always possible to get a plan without a data cap. :( And even when it's an option, it's not always an affordable option.

Honestly, I could do with a much lower "top speed" if it came with a much larger (or unlimited) data cap.
-Deozaan (September 18, 2015, 04:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm always a bit stunned when I hear how bad the internet packages are in the States
Here (.de) it's always flat rate (which is no guarantee of speed though).

Innuendo:
I'm always a bit stunned when I hear how bad the internet packages are in the States
Here (.de) it's always flat rate (which is no guarantee of speed though).
-tomos (September 18, 2015, 05:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

The problem here in the US is we have such vast areas of land that have a very, very low population density & it just isn't cost-effective for the service providers to build the infrastructure and backbone to access those remote places. The result is a lot of people have to rely on satellite and other horrible methods in order to obtain internet access.

xtabber:
Recent developments in the GWX saga are getting really scary.

It seems that Microsoft is so intent on forcing everyone to “upgrade” to Windows 10 that they have used a KB patch to install undocumented services designed to thwart users running Windows 7 and 8.1 from disabling GWX.  Specifically, programs that revert registry patches to allow GWX are installed and the Windows task scheduler is programmed to run these regularly.  That's what we know so far.

This is classic malware behavior.  What’s next?  Installing a GWX rootkit?

You can read more on what is now known about GWX here.

And for a more humorous (but even scarier) take, see this.

dr_andus:
Think about it though. The people who are likely to try to disable GWX 1) have made the conscious decision that they don't want Win10 just yet, and 2) are sophisticated enough to figure out how to do that. What could MS possibly gain from pissing off that particular user base (who could be called opinion leaders, the ones that advise the rest of their family and organisations on which computers to buy)?

It seems they don't understand that "no means no." If they try to shove Win10 down my throat even more aggressively (and I don't even consider myself to be part of the above sophisticated group), it is just pushing me more and more towards considering Linux and other alternatives, when in fact I've been a reasonably happy Windows XP and 7 user so far.

So either they are incompetent in this regard, or they have made the calculated decision for some reason to get rid of the sophisticated users (pretty much giving up on the desktop PC market) and capture as many of the less clued up consumer users as possible, to compete with Apple and Google at the tablet and mobile phone end of the market.

Stoic Joker:
Think about it though. The people who are likely to try to disable GWX 1) have made the conscious decision that they don't want Win10 just yet, and 2) are sophisticated enough to figure out how to do that. What could MS possibly gain from pissing off that particular user base (who could be called opinion leaders, the ones that advise the rest of their family and organisations on which computers to buy)?-dr_andus (January 13, 2016, 10:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed ... I have several virtual 7 & 8 machines that exist solely because I occasionally need to get to/see/use a Windows 7/8 machine. So I've wasted a good bit of time trying to beat the Win10 upgrade to death on them so it stops trying to bork my test machines.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version