topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 11:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PSA: Windows 10 corrupting wav files from memory cards  (Read 3235 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
PSA: Windows 10 corrupting wav files from memory cards
« on: August 12, 2015, 03:13 PM »
If you deal with audio files stored on CF or SD cards, be aware of this Windows 10 bug:

It appears that when accessing a card reader via USB with Broadcast Wave Files on it (possibly other types of files as well), Windows 10 immediately strips some of the metadata from the files on the original media which is not copy protectable. This renders the files unplayable and they can only be accessed by any flavor of windows with a hex editor afterwards.

If I have the files on another networked location and bring them in via wi fi or Ethernet there are no such issues. So...it appears to be related to something Windows 10 is doing initially when reading the files from a USB connected reader.

[...]

I can also confirm that this corruption does NOT happen with a small portable USB drive on the same USB ports. It's oddly just CF and SD cards via a reader.

Read more here: http://answers.micro...b9-ab57-8784b5606d09

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: PSA: Windows 10 corrupting wav files from memory cards
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 10:58 AM »
If you deal with audio files stored on CF or SD cards, be aware of this Windows 10 bug:

Hm...interesting. Could be a very serious bug if it affects other audio files as well (such as MP3s) as it could potentially affect every Android device that stores audio files on SD cards.

Regardless, hopefully it will be fixed soon.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: PSA: Windows 10 corrupting wav files from memory cards
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 12:17 PM »
I can also confirm that this corruption does NOT happen with a small portable USB drive on the same USB ports. It's oddly just CF and SD cards via a reader.

Good thing the only card reader I have that supports CF cards, also doesn't have drivers for anything newer than XP, which is one of the reasons why I won't upgrade one of my PCs. (I still have some old devices that use CF cards)