topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows 10 Automatic Update Reboots  (Read 4086 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows 10 Automatic Update Reboots
« on: August 12, 2015, 10:55 AM »
There seems to be much discussion about the new and delightfully Draconian Windows update automatic reboot policy. Most of the solutions I've seen are of the comically idiotic variety...(like just disable the WU service)...that MS really should have seen coming before they dropped this turn in our laps. Others come closer to showing a bit of common sense & restraint, like method 2 in the article I found here.

However for my own purposes I decided to modify it just a bit by setting: No auto-restart with logged on user for scheduled automatic updater installations to enabled. This option is in the same place as the one suggested in the article, I just think it affords a better balance between getting the updates in a timely fashion...and don't dump all my shit. :D

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Automatic Update Reboots
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 11:28 AM »
I noticed the W10 articles on Addictive Tips.

http://www.addictivetips.com/

I hope they make Windows Update usable otherwise it may kill Windows doornail dead.  I'll have to figure out something to do with my time if I am not tweaking Windows.  Then again there's always Linux to turn to.  :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 03:01 PM »
I don't get it. What's so hard about changing the setting to "Notify to schedule restart"?

With that setting, it will never automatically reboot without your explicit permission, either by scheduling a time to restart, or by clicking "restart now."

Win10 Notify to Restart.png

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 04:21 PM »
I don't get it. What's so hard about changing the setting to "Notify to schedule restart"?

With that setting, it will never automatically reboot without your explicit permission, either by scheduling a time to restart, or by clicking "restart now."
 (see attachment in previous post)

Is this accomplished by Group Policy?  I am wondering because Windows Installer trumps the user since it runs as System.  I had IE forbidden to run using Group Policy.  All seemed well until some clown explicitly invoked IE during a Windows Installer install.  Up it came.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 04:24 PM »

(see attachment in previous post)

Is this accomplished by Group Policy?

I don't think so. I just go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update -> Advanced Options to get to the screen shown above. I cropped out some of the other options available on that window, so it won't look exactly like the screenshot above, but it should be close enough.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 05:29 PM »

It's not that it's "hard" to change the setting...it's that both of the only two options made available assert that "Mom" has a clock on your ass, and you will be doing this reboot post haste regardless of any rationalized extenuating circumstances that you wish to concoct. Because it only gives you a maximum of 4 days in which to schedule said reboot...and that - of course - assumes that you actually saw the fleetingly displayed warning that IT was about to hit the fan..

...And that simply doesn't fit with the definition of "My Computer" in my world. While I grasp the implication and necessity of timely patch management. I still reserve the right to be involved in something that may require I be just a bit noncommittal about when it is convenient for me to let "Mom" get her knickers out of a twist. Because only about 3% of the constant flow of patches are actually applicably urgent for some real and plausible security threat. So I'll be damned if I'm going to be stampeded over a cliff **every 5 minutes because some anal electronic hall monitor wants to keep a nice tidy checklist.

I'll reboot when I damn well please, and not a millisecond sooner. In the mean time the system is welcome to patch its ass half crazy ... Just as long as it doesn't interrupt me or WTF ever I'm doing. It works for me...not the other way around.

**And by this I'm eluding to the already count of 2 WU initiated boot loops that Win10 has foisted on the public in as many weeks.. :)