ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Clean Install Instructions

<< < (3/4) > >>

wraith808:
+1 with SJ, I've used the relevant key for swapping between architecture, (x86/x64), over the years for XP, 7, and 8 without any problem.

It'll fail if you try to install a product it doesn't match though, (eg. Pro key and you're installing Win HP).

You could also try backing up the activation tokens from the upgrade and restoring them into the clean install.

Although, ATM and Produkey come up with two different product keys for my Win10Pro netbook  :-\
-4wd (August 11, 2015, 09:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wonder if this points to the reason for that:

Windows 8.1 is * NOT * fully supported. All the activation data can be saved, but only those that were activated by * Phone * will be restored properly.

In other words, the Online activated backups can not be restored until now, * ONLY * if your OS is the Windows 8.1 – Other OS(es) are NOT affected ! We are working to discover why.

*** You can * NOT * restore the Windows 8 activation on Windows 8.1. Microsoft was made hard changes on the Windows 8.1 activation system, so we are unable to port the Windows 8 activation to Windows 8.1 without brick the system.

--- End quote ---

4wd:
I wonder if this points to the reason for that:

Windows 8.1 is * NOT * fully supported. All the activation data can be saved, but only those that were activated by * Phone * will be restored properly.

In other words, the Online activated backups can not be restored until now, * ONLY * if your OS is the Windows 8.1 – Other OS(es) are NOT affected ! We are working to discover why.

*** You can * NOT * restore the Windows 8 activation on Windows 8.1. Microsoft was made hard changes on the Windows 8.1 activation system, so we are unable to port the Windows 8 activation to Windows 8.1 without brick the system.

--- End quote ---
-wraith808 (August 11, 2015, 09:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Quite possibly, all my 8.1Pro systems were clean installed and activated using 8.0Pro keys, (there was only one where I had to ring MS to activate because I moved the license to another machine).

Here's a post on Reddit that seems to indicate that the free Win10 upgrade keys are generic, and I can verify that the one for Pro is indeed the same as reported by ATM on my netbook.

The key reported by Produkey is completely different, although it's quite possible that the one Produkey reports is the "real" one generated by hashing the generic upgrade key with the hardware, I guess.  Think I'll go find what some other software reports. - Mea stupida

Deozaan:
Here's a post on Reddit that seems to indicate that the free Win10 upgrade keys are generic, and I can verify that the one for Pro is indeed the same as reported by ATM on my netbook.

The key reported by Produkey is completely different, although it's quite possible that the one Produkey reports is the "real" one generated by hashing the generic upgrade key with the hardware, I guess.  Think I'll go find what some other software reports.
-4wd (August 11, 2015, 11:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

The one listed here is the same as what was reported by ProduKey for my copy of Windows 10.

4wd:

The key reported by Produkey is completely different, although it's quite possible that the one Produkey reports is the "real" one generated by hashing the generic upgrade key with the hardware, I guess.  Think I'll go find what some other software reports.
--- End quote ---

The one listed here is the same as what was reported by ProduKey for my copy of Windows 10.
-Deozaan (August 11, 2015, 11:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

My bad, old version of Produkey on my flash drive  :-[

michaelkenward:
--- End quote ---

Yup. All talk of Produkey etc is a red herring. Life has moved on. Microsoft has abandoned churning out those complicated Product Keys. It is your PC's "fingerprint" that matters. YOu can find the list of Windows 10 Product Keys all over the place.

Unless you are installing the "wrong" version of Windows 10 you can skip past all requests for a Product Key.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version