topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Firefox users, here's a security flaw you'll need to fix  (Read 5442 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Firefox users, here's a security flaw you'll need to fix
« on: August 07, 2015, 07:28 PM »
120px-Firefox-logo.svg.png

Another day, another security flaw -- this one affecting Mozilla's Web browser, Firefox. But this one is easy enough for you to fix.

On Thursday, Mozilla revealed a vulnerability in its browser that was discovered by a Firefox user. An ad on an unnamed news site in Russia was able to tap into the vulnerability to upload certain files from a user's computer to a server apparently based in the Ukraine. Exploiting Firefox's PDF Viewer and its use of the widespread JavaScript code, the hack seems to capture only "developer focused" files -- think FTP (file transfer protocol) -- at least in Windows. Your personal files and data aren't caught in the attack, but the hack is still alarming.

Source: http://www.cnet.com/...ecurity-flaw-to-fix/

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox users, here's a security flaw you'll need to fix
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 12:52 AM »
The targetting of developers is scary. I can imagine some attackers being able to do a worm-like cascade of attacks by stealing and then exploiting developer logins and get the malware on more sites. If a developers computer gets infected that means that any code on their computer could also be infected.

I had Firefox set to notify on updates (not autoinstall) on one computer and the update notification popup is really a bit too low key for serious cases like this. Maybe shift to big red flashing letters? :D

mrpeach

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox users, here's a security flaw you'll need to fix
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 04:00 PM »
Ah serendipity... I've always hated the built in PDF viewer, and have disabled it for quite a while. Nice to hear that I was protected against this without even being aware of it.