ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I need help coming up with a plan to fix my NTFS security permissions problems

<< < (5/7) > >>

Shades:
Someone else on the DC forum already mentioned the existence/availability of a new 16 TByte SSD drive model from Samsung. That is 16TByte of storage space in a 2,5 inch hard disk.

A RAID setup with spinning disks isn't going to outperform (I/O) this SSD drive. Or do better in energy consumption. Likely this model won't be cheap, but you'll get a serious pile of bragging rights  :P

I think Samsung also sells an 8TByte SSD model...

A RAID setup with this kind of SSD's...I reckon that would grant you the title of DC Storage Master  ;)  

40hz:
i've been managing it for years, and i'm getting tired of it.  I'm looking forward to having a box or two where everything goes.  And i'm also interested in unifying all my increasing number of devices i'm using for different reasons.  You were right, having a server is great...kind of a turning point.

i've been reading about hard drives a lot.  Thanks for recommending the enterprise drives, i wasn't convinced previously.  it's still confusing...take western digital...they've added so many colors the past few years, it's so confusing.  I liked their black caviar drives previously because of the 5 year warranty.  These used to be considered their enterprise drives.  but now they are calling it their "desktop performance" drives.  They also have their NAS drives, which are Red.  And a Red Pro, which is like more enterprise but still desktop, lol.  Their new line of real enterprise drives are called RE, funny enough ("real enterprise?").  the 4TB ones are running around $245 on newegg.  I'm not familiar with the enterprise line of other brands.  I'm fine with the cost, I experienced the deathstars in the early 2000s and have since tried to not compromise on hard drive quality for any kind of cost purpose.

oy...so much stuff.
-superboyac (August 15, 2015, 05:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

You betcha there's so much stuff. Welcome to my world. ;D

Seagate and Hitachi also do enterprise grade. I've used the WDs, Samsungs, and Seagates e-drives with good result. Haven't tried HItachis in a server yet.

For business clients I always recommend they go with the disks that come from the manufacturers of their servers. They pay a premium (sometimes a significant premium) for those. But those babies get QC beyond what the prosumer world has any expectation of getting - and they're priced accordingly. And single sourcing a business server from a major manufacturer also simplifies warranty claims and service contract agreements by having everything come from one manufacturer. It eliminates finger pointing for one thing. And for big companies, that extra convenience and additional assurance alone is worth the higher cost.

I'll probably build one more server for myself before I call it a day with all this. If I do, I'm seriously considering using 2.5" drives and loading them into an ICY DOCK ToughArmour enclosure of some sort. Whatever I decide to build, it will be running a hypervisor with all the servers under it running as VMs. That way, I can setup a new server, or reallocate physical resources anytime I want to. Intel is doing some interesting stuff with their Xeon line lately.

Scope out this monster. It's expensive with it's $4500 est. selling price - until you think about what you're getting: 18 cores supporting hyperthreading and 36 threads.

Running it with a selectable boot from either a drive that configures the who shebang as a DAW/Synthesis workstation; or off a second drive setup to run a hypervisor for a fully virtualized server farm the rest of the time is where I'd like to go eventually. I've outgrown my fascination with rooms full of blinking lights and the roar of fans. ;D

superboyac:
whoa 40...I like where you are headed with this.  I don't understand hypervisor yet, other than it means a virtual machine, lol.  It sounds like you are planning to have one central server machine with sub-servers running under it in virtualization.  If that's the case, that is ultimately my goal also.  You mention DAW...are you saying that you are going to be comfortable running a DAW on some kind of vm? 

40hz:
You mention DAW...are you saying that you are going to be comfortable running a DAW on some kind of vm? 
-superboyac (August 17, 2015, 04:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

It would be fun to try, but I don't think I'm quite that ballsy enough to do it with a production DAW just yet. So I'd probably set up such a machine to dual boot and also probably use a swap-able boot HD to do it at this point.

40hz:
whoa 40...I like where you are headed with this.  I don't understand hypervisor yet, other than it means a virtual machine, lol.
-superboyac (August 17, 2015, 04:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

There's two general approaches to virtualization. One method (Type-1) is a bare metal installation with all OSs managed and running under a hypervisor - which is basically just a framework environment for hosting operating systems. Examples would be Xen or Microsoft's Hyper-V. (Think: hardware ---> hypervisor ---> hosted OS)

Type-2 hypervisors are installed under an operating system, and abstract the system resources of that OS to allow virtual machines to run under it. Virtualbox works like that, as does WMWare's workstation. (Think: hardware ---> host OS ---> hypervisor ---> hosted OS)

There are also hybrids like Proxmox, so it can get a little confusing.

Of the two approaches, the Type-1 is a more elegant solution. Type-2 can sometimes be less ideal because the host OS that the hypervisor is running under can crash thereby simultaneously taking down all the VMs running under it as well. So the type-1 hypervisor is better for a VM server, whereas the type-2 is (to me) better suited for running turnkey applications - or virtual workstations - as opposed to servers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version