topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 1:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Piecepack: The Flexible, Portable, Affordable Board Game System  (Read 3717 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I was reading through Mouser's board game mini-review thread, and suddenly I remembered something I had checked out a few years ago, called "piecepack" (lower case intentional).  It's basically a free (public domain) set of counters/chits/cards/ in pdf form you can download, print, and make up your own rules for.  There is a board where you can browse and download different game rules, and there are game design contests where presumably, the cream rises to the top.  Check it out:

http://www.piecepack.org
What is a piecepack?

Flexible. Portable. Affordable. Public domain. The piecepack is a set of boardgame parts that can be used to design and play a wide variety of games. Anyone may design and publish a piecepack rule set. Any manufacturer or individual may produce piecepacks.

Tom Vasel in the video says the piecepack is best for abstract strategy-over-luck games, but because it is simply an open-ended system, you can make up your own story or theme, or simply make up your own pieces using the piecepack system as a base, or use the piecepack bits as an add-on to other games that may need a little "extra".