ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Privacy Concerns

<< < (11/26) > >>

xtabber:
According to this article in Ars Technica, Windows 10 sends information identifying individual systems to Microsoft whenever one is online, regardless of privacy settings.

This really isn't all that much different from how Android and iOS operate, but you expect that from phones and tablets that depend on the cloud for much of their functionality.  A personal computer is a different matter altogether.

Innuendo:
This really isn't all that much different from how Android and iOS operate, but you expect that from phones and tablets that depend on the cloud for much of their functionality.  A personal computer is a different matter altogether.-xtabber (August 13, 2015, 11:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think you answered your own question. I think if Microsoft has their way then personal computers *will* have to rely on the cloud for much of their functionality. If you doubt me, ask yourself why can't we pick and choose which updates on Windows Update? Why does every update come across in one blob under the label "Cumulative Updates"? Even if you click the "WTH, MS!!! What did you just install?" link, you're redirected to a web page that has a non-sorted list of everything that's been updated since Windows 10 was released with no easy way to tell exactly what just got installed on your PC.

JavaJones:
So why are we OK with our phones working this way (at least more of us) and not our desktop operating systems? Yes, this is a Devil's Advocate question, but objectively speaking is it really illogical to ask?

- Oshyan

phitsc:
I'm not ok with either. I'm actually really pissed about the whole situation.

Stoic Joker:
So from the Invasion of Privacy department, this looks a bit damning (full article):
Section 7b of Microsoft's Services EULA (under “Updates to the Services or Software, and Changes to These Terms”) warns users that Windows 10 “may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices.”
--- End quote ---

Frankly I'm not sure WTF to think about this...(other than various unpleasantries)...so I'm open for suggestions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version