ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Privacy Concerns

<< < (9/26) > >>

Innuendo:
I don't think we're stuck. Enterprising, smart people are analyzing Windows 10 and everything it brings us as we speak. Sooner or later someone is going to bring us a program that will ask us a few questions about what we want to get out of Windows 10 and then will make all the registry changes needed to turn on or off the privacy-threatening bits that offer or take away 'enhanced' functionality.

I'm also sure someone will make an app that will reliably suspend the Windows Update service & hopefully, allow us to pick & choose which updates to install & which ones to blacklist. Until MS makes the registry a black box users cannot pick apart and analyze, there will always be intrepid souls who will work to leverage it in the users' favor.

Renegade:
... With whatever privacy concerns (or others!) comes with Software-as-a-service.

:tellme:
-TaoPhoenix (August 06, 2015, 07:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

I loathe SaaS. Most often it's just implemented to milk customers. However, I'm still beholden to clients, and Windows is the only option. And my development work now requires Win10.
-Renegade (August 06, 2015, 09:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Renny! I didn't know you were so restrained! Or should I check the basement for the unrestrained version?
 :P
-TaoPhoenix (August 06, 2015, 09:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've mellowed. A lot.

Instead of wanting to feed SaaSers through a woodchipper, I only want to feed them through a paper shredder now.

8)

bit:
Altho I can't find the article now, all that en masse data gathering of our private info is reported to have been hacked by China.
If there had been no invasive data mining of our lives, contrary to the spirit of the US Constitution and universal privacy expectations, China would not now be maliciously harvesting it to our detriment.

anandcoral:
I'm also sure someone will make an app that will reliably suspend the Windows Update service & hopefully, allow us to pick & choose which updates to install & which ones to blacklist. Until MS makes the registry a black box users cannot pick apart and analyze, there will always be intrepid souls who will work to leverage it in the users' favor.
-Innuendo (August 06, 2015, 08:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes. It has happened before and it will happen now.

Already we have blogs and website giving steps to disable all those nasty privacy options, and program to automate them have started coming up.

I use 3rd party firewall, anti-virus, cleaner, uninstaller, video player etc. to keep my peace of mind in Win8. I will do same in Win10. I like to use an OS as OS only.

I hope, like we used Windows Blind to fully convert in visual and action a Win95 machine like Mac, some program comes like say, 'Better Win10' which runs as layer over Win10 and let us have our peace of mind.

Regards,

Anand

Tuxman:
I do not like MS neither Google. (...) I like Linux. (...) I like privacy.-anandcoral (August 03, 2015, 04:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ironically, you can't use most GNU/Linux distributions securely without sharing a quite unique amount of data with US-American servers. Linux users tend to ignore that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version