ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Privacy Concerns

<< < (10/26) > >>

Tuxman:
Microsoft has admitted it collects key information on Windows users, recording the searches they make with Bing-bit (August 06, 2015, 02:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Phew, good thing Google would never do that!  :-*

8)

KynloStephen66515:
I'm also sure someone will make an app that will reliably suspend the Windows Update service & hopefully, allow us to pick & choose which updates to install & which ones to blacklist. Until MS makes the registry a black box users cannot pick apart and analyze, there will always be intrepid souls who will work to leverage it in the users' favor.
-Innuendo (August 06, 2015, 08:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Fairly sure I read somewhere that Microsoft have backtracked on this "forced update" crap (I think i may have only been for updates that MAY cause driver/instability issues on some machines) - Can't find a link or any reference to where I read it though o.O - If I find it, I will update.

Innuendo:
While I understand everyone's privacy concerns, especially people who have never owned a cell phone, the simple truth of the matter is that the general public does not care that their privacy is being violated. Owning something that makes their life easier is all they care about.

Trying to resist going on a full-on rant here, but even when you sit down with them, connect all the dots, and prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that this erosion of privacy is not a good thing for anybody, they just shrug their shoulders and say they don't care.

As for the Chinese, they say there are two types of businesses in the world: the ones that have been hacked by the Chinese and the ones that don't realize they have been hacked by the Chinese. ;)

bit:
Have fun with all the ins and outs of Windows 10.
I wish you all well with it, and I'll be watching with great interest from the sidelines.

f0dder:
It's much ado over nothing.-wraith808 (August 03, 2015, 09:42 AM)
--- End quote ---
No, it's not.

I haven't had time to look into the detail of most things, but enabling p2p updates as an opt-out is a big no-no. Yes, it's a good thing for the community as a whole, but it really isn't something an OS should impose on you, and it really sucks for people with metered plans. Yes, you can have an ethernet card and still be limited.

And the WiFi sense is just insane. Given how far MS has come the last 10 years in regards to taking security seriously, this is a big shock - there's some marketing and UX drones that have to be roasted slowly for this, and some upper middle management guys who need some proper old-fashioned viking-style torture for accepting the feature request - it's simply unacceptable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version