ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

PSA: Woe to Thee Who Performs a Windows 10 Clean Install

<< < (5/10) > >>

wraith808:
One thing to keep in mind about Windows 7.  It is out of mainstream support right now, in the extended support period.-wraith808 (August 02, 2015, 08:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
ugh i hate this about ms.-superboyac (August 02, 2015, 11:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think it's unfair to expect Microsoft to support old software.

They're still releasing security updates. But they're not going to be adding new features. I don't find that unreasonable, especially since they consider Windows 7 to be two "generations" old at this point.
-Deozaan (August 03, 2015, 01:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed.  This was more of a PSA and FYI than anything else.  They have perfectly reasonable EOL procedures, IMO.  But, the more you know... and that was the only reason for this.

Innuendo:
Assuming the Epson uses a typical driver, pick the bottom option (Add a local or network printer with manual settings).
Select Create new port, and pick Standard TCP/IP port. It will probably auto configure with the most common Protocol=RAW Port=9100 options.
Then hand feed it the driver and you should be good.-Stoic Joker (August 03, 2015, 06:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, it's an all-in-one. I can choose the driver and the printer will work, but that doesn't fix the scanner or fax portion of the equation. It's okay...I have other systems in the house I can use to print if need be till Epson gets their crap together.

Innuendo:
Performing due diligence and posting a follow-up to my SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION (NETIO.SYS) error...

Turns out the culprit was AdGuard's WFP driver that allows ad-blocking in Modern apps. Since I never use Modern apps, I turned it off and hopefully this problem is perpetually in the rear view mirror.

TaoPhoenix:
...hopefully this problem is perpetually in the rear view mirror.
-Innuendo (August 04, 2015, 06:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

There's a Meatloaf song about that! : )

JavaJones:
It's an entertaining story of wonk, but... isn't most (if not all) of this due to A: old hardware/software, and/or B: semi-unusual configuration changes (e.g. moving the Desktop folder)? Don't get me wrong, I get that this stuff worked in your previous setup (also a Microsoft Windows OS) so you have reason to believe it should still work (though you did seem aware that moving the user data folders has some risk/wonk to it). But as far as a general warning goes, it seems more like "If you're a power user who likes to heavily customize your OS, be gentle with Win 10 for now". :D Honestly I'm not even clear on what problems were unique to the clean install vs. the upgrade...

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version