ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

PSA: Woe to Thee Who Performs a Windows 10 Clean Install

<< < (4/10) > >>

superboyac:
thanks for the info.  I have cancelled my automatic upgrade not for any reason other than i wasn't comfortable with the way it got integrated in my windows update and task tray.  Most likely, I'll wait a year or more before making any windows 10 upgrades to my machines that matter.  windows 7 and 8.1 are running smooth right now.

one of my very knowledgeable friends did the windows 10 upgrade and is very satisfied with it.  but he does the whole xbox thing and the thing he was raving about was the tight/smooth integration with windows 10 and xbox.
-superboyac (August 02, 2015, 05:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

One thing to keep in mind about Windows 7.  It is out of mainstream support right now, in the extended support period.  What does that mean?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/lifepolicy

or for a more to the point comparison

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2453561/microsoft-subnet/the-difference-between-end-of-mainstream-support-and-end-of-extended-support.html
-wraith808 (August 02, 2015, 08:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
ugh i hate this about ms.  whats happened is that ive installed windows 8 on computers i dont really care about to see how well it works.  but my main computer is windows 7.  now it's turning out that windows 8 is good, but my important activity is on windows 7.  im much less inclined to change things on my windows 7 computer because of this, so ive been holding off.  i tried once and ran into problems with uefi, so i quickly went back to the original setup.  i guess i'll have to plan for this eventually.

you cant admin windows 2012 servers remotely from windows 7.  very annoying.

TaoPhoenix:

ugh i hate this about ms.  whats happened is that ive installed windows 8 on computers i dont really care about to see how well it works.  but my main computer is windows 7.  now it's turning out that windows 8 is good, but my important activity is on windows 7.  im much less inclined to change things on my windows 7 computer because of this, so ive been holding off.  i tried once and ran into problems with uefi, so i quickly went back to the original setup.  i guess i'll have to plan for this eventually.

you cant admin windows 2012 servers remotely from windows 7.  very annoying.
-superboyac (August 02, 2015, 11:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yep. And I have been pondering all that from the other end sitting on XP with the plan to see what Win10 looks like ... and we're starting to see stuff. And all the stuff you guys solved, any one of them would sink me. But I knew these would be the "fresh out of the box" woes. But I am waiting for the tech news to catch up in a few months half way into the year period with hard commentary of "okay, so the driver issues are fixed mostly, what do we all think about this beast in general?"

Especially because by then we should see a couple of their "forced rolling release patches" in effect.

Deozaan:
One thing to keep in mind about Windows 7.  It is out of mainstream support right now, in the extended support period.-wraith808 (August 02, 2015, 08:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
ugh i hate this about ms.-superboyac (August 02, 2015, 11:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think it's unfair to expect Microsoft to support old software.

They're still releasing security updates. But they're not going to be adding new features. I don't find that unreasonable, especially since they consider Windows 7 to be two "generations" old at this point.

Stoic Joker:
On to the printer...Epson's wonderfully archaic software, which they insist is Widnows 10-ready *but* was released in 2013, will not detect my Wi-Fi printer for anything. I tried numerous things, Googling, and no dice. When I went back to Epson's web site not even 15 minutes later, I received a message stating their web site was down for maintenance. Was the Universe trying to tell me something?-Innuendo (August 02, 2015, 10:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Welcome to counter intuitive land - I got burnt there once too :D

I'm guessing you went for the 'The printer that I want isn't listed-->My printer is a little older. help me find it' options. I tried it with a LaserJet 4050 and 24 hours later it still hadn't seen the damn thing (but the search ground on..).

Assuming the Epson uses a typical driver, pick the bottom option (Add a local or network printer with manual settings).
Select Create new port, and pick Standard TCP/IP port. It will probably auto configure with the most common Protocol=RAW Port=9100 options.
Then hand feed it the driver and you should be good.

The key is to get the driver installed and the printer object created...then you can fiddle with the port configuration if/as necessary.

Worst case, you'll have to use another machine to see what the Epson uses for the port configuration. But generally when you do create new TCP/IP port it will find the correct settings on it own.

TaoPhoenix:
I think it's unfair to expect Microsoft to support old software.

They're still releasing security updates. But they're not going to be adding new features. I don't find that unreasonable, especially since they consider Windows 7 to be two "generations" old at this point.
-Deozaan (August 03, 2015, 01:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

What's not clear at all to me is what the "generations" policy becomes with Win10's "Last big generation ever!" philosophy. And then it changes what "old software" means as well. Will it start to look like Apple's "OS X" that has "sorta" been going on for a decade, but "really we only support the last x releases"?

And while we're all still hung up this month on install glitches, I can't begin to fathom the replacement for how we used to do stuff - "what version of the OS do you have". How does that tie into their rolling feature packs?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version