ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

PSA: Woe to Thee Who Performs a Windows 10 Clean Install

<< < (3/10) > >>

superboyac:
thanks for the info.  I have cancelled my automatic upgrade not for any reason other than i wasn't comfortable with the way it got integrated in my windows update and task tray.  Most likely, I'll wait a year or more before making any windows 10 upgrades to my machines that matter.  windows 7 and 8.1 are running smooth right now.

one of my very knowledgeable friends did the windows 10 upgrade and is very satisfied with it.  but he does the whole xbox thing and the thing he was raving about was the tight/smooth integration with windows 10 and xbox.

Innuendo:
What you probably saw were $Windows.$BT and $Windows.$BS as well as Windows.old. Not enough to send me off in a mad frenzy.-michaelkenward (August 02, 2015, 04:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Umm...there was a tone of humor and exaggeration in my OP. Sorry if you missed it. Others didn't, thankfully.

Innuendo:
Most likely, I'll wait a year or more before making any windows 10 upgrades to my machines that matter.  windows 7 and 8.1 are running smooth right now.-superboyac (August 02, 2015, 05:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't wait that long. You'll miss out on the free upgrade. Nothing wrong with waiting 51 weeks before claiming it, though. There's supposed to be a big patch coming to clean up nonsense bugs such as this. Industry insiders say it could be released as early as next week.

Part of the problem is programs that aren't Windows 10-ready...even if the publisher says they are.

superboyac:
Most likely, I'll wait a year or more before making any windows 10 upgrades to my machines that matter.  windows 7 and 8.1 are running smooth right now.-superboyac (August 02, 2015, 05:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't wait that long. You'll miss out on the free upgrade. Nothing wrong with waiting 51 weeks before claiming it, though. There's supposed to be a big patch coming to clean up nonsense bugs such as this. Industry insiders say it could be released as early as next week.

Part of the problem is programs that aren't Windows 10-ready...even if the publisher says they are.
-Innuendo (August 02, 2015, 06:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
ok noted.  thanks.  didn't realize that.

wraith808:
thanks for the info.  I have cancelled my automatic upgrade not for any reason other than i wasn't comfortable with the way it got integrated in my windows update and task tray.  Most likely, I'll wait a year or more before making any windows 10 upgrades to my machines that matter.  windows 7 and 8.1 are running smooth right now.

one of my very knowledgeable friends did the windows 10 upgrade and is very satisfied with it.  but he does the whole xbox thing and the thing he was raving about was the tight/smooth integration with windows 10 and xbox.
-superboyac (August 02, 2015, 05:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

One thing to keep in mind about Windows 7.  It is out of mainstream support right now, in the extended support period.  What does that mean?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/lifepolicy

or for a more to the point comparison

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2453561/microsoft-subnet/the-difference-between-end-of-mainstream-support-and-end-of-extended-support.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version