ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

PSA: Woe to Thee Who Performs a Windows 10 Clean Install

<< < (6/10) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Assuming the Epson uses a typical driver, pick the bottom option (Add a local or network printer with manual settings).
Select Create new port, and pick Standard TCP/IP port. It will probably auto configure with the most common Protocol=RAW Port=9100 options.
Then hand feed it the driver and you should be good.-Stoic Joker (August 03, 2015, 06:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, it's an all-in-one. I can choose the driver and the printer will work, but that doesn't fix the scanner or fax portion of the equation. It's okay...I have other systems in the house I can use to print if need be till Epson gets their crap together.-Innuendo (August 04, 2015, 06:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

What's the model number?

Innuendo:
Honestly I'm not even clear on what problems were unique to the clean install vs. the upgrade...-JavaJones (August 04, 2015, 07:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

The first problem that was unique to the clean install was the fact that Windows decided to make my private LAN in my home a public network. The second was being unable to install my printer. The third was the moving user data folders through a supported Microsoft method (this isn't a hack) didn't work. I could go on, but you get my point...I might agree with you about the user data folders in a pinch, but the others are simple things any user may run into....

Innuendo:
What's the model number?-Stoic Joker (August 04, 2015, 08:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's an Epson WorkForce WF-3540....but get this. I totally uninstalled all the Epson software from my system in preparation of waiting for Epson's official fix, but just a bit ago, I noticed an Epson printer monitor hanging out in the system tray. Hmmm...should not be there as every other indicator is that the Epson software should be cleansed from the system. I right-click on the icon & I see a Software Update option. I love to poke bears so I clicked it. Predictably, it told me that the software update software was not installed. Unpredictably, it then proceeded to connect to the internet, download the software, and configure the printer, scanner, and fax.

What the....? It's all there and working now, down to the skeuomorphic printer icon that looks like my printer in Printers and Devices .

Stoic Joker:
What's the model number?-Stoic Joker (August 04, 2015, 08:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's an Epson WorkForce WF-3540....but get this. I totally uninstalled all the Epson software from my system in preparation of waiting for Epson's official fix, but just a bit ago, I noticed an Epson printer monitor hanging out in the system tray. Hmmm...should not be there as every other indicator is that the Epson software should be cleansed from the system. I right-click on the icon & I see a Software Update option. I love to poke bears so I clicked it. Predictably, it told me that the software update software was not installed. Unpredictably, it then proceeded to connect to the internet, download the software, and configure the printer, scanner, and fax.

What the....? It's all there and working now, down to the skeuomorphic printer icon that looks like my printer in Printers and Devices .-Innuendo (August 04, 2015, 09:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's actually not as completely shocking as you might think - It also might not be Epson's fault. While XP started the auto install (and sucked at it) Windows 8.x started being really good at auto installing any print device it found on the wire all by itself...And 10 is even better at -(or worse about)- the completely uninitiated surprise device installations. Being that we're primarily a printer/MPS company there are frequently upwards of 50 print devices on the wire at any given time ... Which is why I had to stick the service department onto an isolated subnet to keep all of the transient customer printers from showing up everywhere.

Basically if the device is new enough to have/feature/announce its WSD capability...Windows will go after it all by itself.

I currently have 20 printers installed on my workstation - god damn it..  :( :D

TaoPhoenix:
It's an entertaining story of wonk, but... isn't most (if not all) of this due to A: old hardware/software, and/or B: semi-unusual configuration changes (e.g. moving the Desktop folder)? Don't get me wrong, I get that this stuff worked in your previous setup (also a Microsoft Windows OS) so you have reason to believe it should still work (though you did seem aware that moving the user data folders has some risk/wonk to it). But as far as a general warning goes, it seems more like "If you're a power user who likes to heavily customize your OS, be gentle with Win 10 for now". :D Honestly I'm not even clear on what problems were unique to the clean install vs. the upgrade...

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (August 04, 2015, 07:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh well part of the computing experience is supposed to be "doing something to get something done!" Whether it's moving a desktop folder, or older hardware, or older software, or something ... we're not here to get Teh Latezt Windowz just to go on Facebook!
 :D

So in some senses "go gentle" means that MS didn't do their job. For example, paraphrasing a phrase I like to use, "Microsoft spent three years and a developer channel and no one moved their desktop?! Why does DC have to be first to do stuff?!"

I can see if someone tries an *EPIC* hack, maybe. But these issues cropping up feel like MS pawning off their Gamma level testing on users. And they're even saying so! (Snooty voice) "Eau. For you VALUED Enterprise customers, you get to wait four months while the peons do our work for us."

>:(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version