ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Caption jpg files

(1/5) > >>

John Alaska:
I need a way to caption image files, automatically in bulk, using the original file name. Something like "Grand Canyon North Rim.jpg to "Grand Canyon North Rim".  In other word, I'm to lazy to add text manually for each file.   :D

TaoPhoenix:
It would be amazing if this doesn't already exist, but then that's what coding snacks tend to expose!

lanux128:
I need a way to caption image files, automatically in bulk, using the original file name. Something like "Grand Canyon North Rim.jpg to "Grand Canyon North Rim".  In other word, I'm to lazy to add text manually for each file.-John Alaska (July 26, 2015, 06:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Here is a possible solution using FastStone Image Viewer (Free for home use).

• https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-pictures/how-can-i-have-filename-as-a-visible-caption-on/cdb2d5ba-7ad7-4d9d-b6e9-0a2a1a873fd4?auth=1

IainB:
@John Alaska: What you seem to want looks rather redundant, and would be akin to using the Caption field metadata as a generic tagging field, whereas the Caption field is usually for data that is peculiar to a particular image. The Keywords (Tag) field would seem to be more appropriate for what you need.
Some people might use a mass file rename to cater for this, so the identifying text would then be in the filename, but that just clutters up  the filename with metadata.
However, if you were a Google Picasa user (as I am) then, you would probably select all the image files you wanted to cover with the chosen specific term and attach it as a Tag "Grand Canyon North Rim". You could later create a virtual album for that Tag name and put it up in the image store (Cloud) with that as the album name, and share it as you wanted. You can attach multiple, different tags to a given image file.

Picasa Tags are included in (attached as) Keyword field file metadata, and so stay with the file. Other image managers would thus be able to pick up that metadata. One needs to be aware though that due to the apparently somewhat loose implementation of standards for image file metadata in image management tools, some metadata might come under a different category of metadata depending on what image management tool you use.

Thus, my recommendation would be try to maintain some degree of consistency and only use a single image management tool - e.g., (say) such as Picasa or some other decent image management tool - and drop the idea of effectively trying to use the "Caption" metadata as a generic tagging field. Instead, use the provided Tagging functionality for tagging.

IainB:
After making the above response, I came across this in my feed-reader: Daminion is a professional photo, video and document management software - gHacks Tech News

Daminion - see Asset Cataloging for Digital Photos, Videos and Documents | Daminion - looks potentially very useful, but I would have to trial it before I knew how good it was for my needs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version