topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 3:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: uBlock Origin (Chrome ad blocker extension) - I like it!  (Read 6216 times)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just wanted to share my appreciation for this extension with you guys. It's faster/more resource-friendly than the well-known ad blockers and - like them - allows you to define elements you want to block on pages. I rarely need that, but I love to have that option when I do.

https://chrome.googl...fiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm (5 stars) :-*

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: uBlock Origin (Chrome ad blocker extension) - I like it!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 06:23 AM »
Haven't made up my mind about which of the two uBlock extensions to stick with -- there has been some discussion in a number of threads here, FWIW.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 12:57 PM »
I gave up on uBlock Origin when it blocked sourceforge completely - there was (deservedly) a bit of a fuss about sourceforge lately, but was surprised to see an adblocker blocking a whole site.
As I didnt think that was it's job, I moved to uBlock (without the 'Origin') at the time and have been happy since. I also use it on Firefox/PaleMoon, and like you, brotherS, I'm very happy with it :up:

Wraith808 has also spoken in favour of the non-original one for some-other reason, but off-hand, I cant remember why. (If it's of interest a search should find it fairly quickly.)
Tom

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 05:24 PM »
I gave up on uBlock Origin when it blocked sourceforge completely - there was (deservedly) a bit of a fuss about sourceforge lately, but was surprised to see an adblocker blocking a whole site.

When I read your post I found that hard to believe, but you are right, they block the site. I googled a bit to find out why, and it looks like Sourceforge can't be trusted anymore under the new owner...  :( http://blog.gluster....rceforge-has-fallen/

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 05:49 PM »

When I read your post I found that hard to believe, but you are right, they block the site. I googled a bit to find out why, and it looks like Sourceforge can't be trusted anymore under the new owner...  :( http://blog.gluster....rceforge-has-fallen/

Well, it's been reported here too recently (SourceForge takes over GIMP for Windows’ account to peddle adware), but I still dont think it's an adblocker's job to block a page.
I was a little worried that the other version might not keep going, but it seems to be doing an okay job.
FWIW,
also did a quick search for wraith's post:

ublock origin was closing tabs and such after opening them with no indication half the time, and no way to turn off the functionality other than to opt out for the entire domain.  That's what started this whole thread.  ublock doesn't have that behavior.  they also seem to work the same on the sites that I visit.

ublock for me.
Tom