topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Suggestion for Help File / _README  (Read 24340 times)

AKE

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Suggestion for Help File / _README
« on: July 24, 2015, 03:19 PM »
Love the program.  Suggest a notice somewhere prominent (README.txt, spc.chm main page, startup message) that reminds the user that the program needs to be run as ADMINISTRATOR in order to work.
Cheers,
AKE

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Suggestion for Help File / _README
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 03:51 PM »
Love the program.  Suggest a notice somewhere prominent (README.txt, spc.chm main page, startup message) that reminds the user that the program needs to be run as ADMINISTRATOR in order to work.
Cheers,
AKE

did you donwload it here?
https://www.donation.../Software/Other/Spc/

The page should at least say how old it is (circa 2005 - which would explain no warnings about that kind of thing...)
Tom

AKE

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 07:52 PM »
did you donwload it here?
https://www.donation.../Software/Other/Spc/

The page should at least say how old it is (circa 2005 - which would explain no warnings about that kind of thing...)

Yes, fair point that the software isn't going to be repackaged to add the message. 

Presumably the download page is easy enough to modify?  A notice there would enhance the usage: currently it states Win2K, WinXP, but the program in fact works fine on Win7 and Win8.1 -- provided it is given administrator privileges.

I'd be happy to modify the page text myself (to put action behind the suggestion)  ;)

Cheers,
AKE

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 05:58 AM »
Presumably the download page is easy enough to modify?  A notice there would enhance the usage: currently it states Win2K, WinXP, but the program in fact works fine on Win7 and Win8.1 -- provided it is given administrator privileges.

I'd be happy to modify the page text myself (to put action behind the suggestion)  ;)

that would be nice to be able to do, but unfortunately we cant.**
The site is being upgraded at the moment, so may be better this way in the future, (but I'm not sure).

** message for any moderators &/or mouser:
dont know can moderators do that? (modify an abandoned dc software page?)
This forum board does not name any particular moderator, but I presume it was originally the author (chr15).
Tom