topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: I need a physics/chemistry/engineering/science forum  (Read 10558 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I need a physics/chemistry/engineering/science forum
« on: July 17, 2015, 11:49 AM »
hello!
I need a science forum with high knowledge people
I tried some forums that either were dead or very hostile, like stackexchange
is there any good?
thanks!

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: I need a physics/chemistry/engineering/science forum
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 12:45 PM »
You might have better luck on Google+ communities or Facebook groups these days. Search those two places if you can, not traditional message boards.

And yes stackexchange is a joke, they spend more energy on asking you to write your question properly than trying to help you find answers. By a huge margin.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 12:56 PM »
thanks I will search there!

I am also glad there is someone else who finds stackexchange a joke! these people are nazis! their automated screening didn't allow me to post a question no matter how I rephrased it, and after managing to post two questions, they banned me after my second question without a valid reason (they told me I should take a break lol)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 02:20 PM »
You might have better luck on Google+ communities or Facebook groups these days. Search those two places if you can, not traditional message boards.

And yes stackexchange is a joke, they spend more energy on asking you to write your question properly than trying to help you find answers. By a huge margin.

StackExchange is a venue for a very specific type of Q&A format, and for that format, it is a very good resource.  You just have to know if your needs fit that type of format.  And it is very dependent on the specific community.  I've had very good experience there.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 02:22 PM »
don't know about stackexchange, but when I posted a physics question, a "Dr." answered like a noob

what is that specific format anyway?

and why they stick to specific format?

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 02:38 PM »
StackExchange is a venue for a very specific type of Q&A format, and for that format, it is a very good resource.  You just have to know if your needs fit that type of format.  And it is very dependent on the specific community.  I've had very good experience there.

Not to drag this... If I can explain my question "well" then I can google it 9 times out of 10 and not need asking, the answer may be on stackexchange itself for all I know :D

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 02:45 PM »
stackexchange is ritualistic detail freaks and grammar-nazis

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 03:04 PM »
stackexchange is ritualistic detail freaks and grammar-nazis

You didn't capitalize the first word of your sentence or end it with punctuation. >:(

:P :D ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 03:46 PM »
Everyone will have different experiences, I suppose.  I've found answers to questions that haven't been posed elsewhere because I've taken the time to ask and get to know what the community does well and doesn't.

Different strokes.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 03:53 PM »
ok but can you tell me please what the community wants/does and what not?
because I haven't understood yet

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 05:18 PM »
ok but can you tell me please what the community wants/does and what not?
because I haven't understood yet

The specifics will vary by community- each has a faq/help page that should be read before posting so you can know what kinds of questions the community answers and does not.  A very general overview for all StackExchange communities can be found at http://stackexchange.com/tour

There are some things that will be universal to all StackExchange sites, i.e. the mechanisms of voting.  There are some that are site specific, i.e. what an upvote/downvote really means.

For example, one of the communities I frequent is RPG.SE.  It's help page is at http://rpg.stackexchange.com/tour.  There's also a page with more help and a FAQ at http://rpg.stackexchange.com/help.

So you'd have to go to the specific site where you were asking the question, and look for the two pages.  Also remember, that unless there is a diamond beside the person's name, they are just a member, like yourself.  And members everywhere can be good or bad.  The only difference is tenure and reputation- reputation gives abilities as the community comes to trust the individual member.

In general, however, StackExchange is not a forum, and it does not host discussions.  It also doesn't do well with open-ended questions.  It is specifically created to answer very specific, very directed questions.  If you're starting a question with "Can I get suggestions for..." in general, that's not an appropriate question.  Pros and cons and opinionated questions also tend to be closed. 

Ask a specific question about a specific thing that can't be easily googled, and you're more likely to get a good response.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 06:07 PM »
i like reddit

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 06:09 PM »
Just terrible ::) and Rarst is actually someone who is often helpful elsewhere, imagine the rest.

Why do I even bother posting there 
http://wordpress.sta...nd-post-new-php-load

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 06:27 PM »
I don't get your problem?  He was asking for clarification- which is the right thing to do if he doesn't understand the question?  And it is better to try to make your question generic for posterity's sake, i.e. unless you're asked about your specifics, just ask the question you want to ask instead of trying to 'frame' it.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 06:36 PM »
If you don't explain yourself they pretty much chastise you but if you do then they want clarification, they take this to the extreme.

My question is

edit.php and post-new.php take a long time to load

The rest is explanation, which will be asked if I don't post them initially any way.

The 'problem', if there is any, is that the question will be lost in the crowd if not answered quickly, they know it and if they make the effort to insist on clarification they should come back to read it.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 06:45 PM »
If you don't explain yourself they pretty much chastise you but if you do then they want clarification, they take this to the extreme.

My question is

edit.php and post-new.php take a long time to load

The rest is explanation, which will be asked if I don't post them initially any way.

The 'problem', if there is any, is that the question will be lost in the crowd if not answered quickly, they know it and if they make the effort to insist on clarification they should come back to read it.

If it is lost, and you don't come up with a solution, there is always the option to place a bounty on it.

And in my humble opinion, that bit that you posted as a question, isn't really one.  I can help you workshop it into a good question, if you'd like, but you have to be able to explain it to me for me to be able to do so, and I didn't really get the question from reading either.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 07:08 PM »
Please help if you can.

The topic says decrease load and at the end it says what I think causes the load, so is there a way to remove it (it should be removable but how).
Frankly the rest is not needed, but if I don't post 'the rest' - in either a more or less understandable way - there is even less chance of an answer. I explained my setup (number of pages, how the pages were created and the settings I turned off)

So yes if you find the time please let me know.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 07:20 PM »
Ok, so the first thing to do is to get your question down to the minimum.  Then we can flesh it out.

If you were asking your question to someone standing in front of you who didn't have a lot of time, what would you ask?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 07:27 PM by wraith808 »

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 07:27 PM »
It's straight from the browser's view source of edit.php (a new install, no activated plugins), of course I added the dots there to not post the 4000 long list.

If you were asking your question to someone standing in front of you who didn't have a lot of time, what would you ask?

Can I remove these lines with a filter because I don't see why the whole page list is loading everytime (and it loads in the page source only by the way)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 07:38 PM »
First, I don't think the number of posts is the problem.  It's a red herring.

Try this in mysql (or let me know if you've already done it)

Code: Text [Select]
  1. REPAIR TABLE wp_posts QUICK

The code that you posted is just to show the posts in the edit page so that you can hyperlink to them and edit.  I've seen sites with more posts than that not take nearly that long.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 07:52 PM »
First, I don't think the number of posts is the problem.  It's a red herring.

Try this in mysql (or let me know if you've already done it)

Code: Text [Select]
  1. REPAIR TABLE wp_posts QUICK

The code that you posted is just to show the posts in the edit page so that you can hyperlink to them and edit.  I've seen sites with more posts than that not take nearly that long.

No difference after running that query.

Currently edit.php?post_type=page is set to list 5 pages at a time, and the 5 pages are listed and I can click on them to edit, but the page source lists all 4000 pages.  

That code is definitely set to run on all WordPress installs, I just checked my personal few year old site (which has less pages), .... all pages are listed in the source in the same way.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 07:55 PM »
Can I PM you login details to the site tosee how edit.php?post_type=page looks in the browser and how it looks when you view source?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 01:06 PM »
Can I PM you login details to the site tosee how edit.php?post_type=page looks in the browser and how it looks when you view source?

You can, but I still think you're looking at a red herring.  I understand where you're talking about now- it uses the query option at the end of the string to formulate the UI for the page.  I have the same code on mine on several sites- one of them has more pages than yours.  And I'm not experiencing the same problems.  It's just text- it shouldn't slow down your site, as it's not following to other requests. There's something else going on that's causing your problem.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 02:55 PM »
If it's not the pages list then I am not sure, I have several other WP sites on same server - also another on same host with equal or lower (I think it's lower RAM) specs - and all of them with many activated plugins, a couple even with deleted plugins which have tables left in the database...basically more stuff and junk that I never cleaned up. No problems on any of those, none have this many pages though.

I will PM you details, please have a look if you have time today. If you can't see anything I will see what I can do. Thanks.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 03:40 PM »
I don't see anything obvious, other than the lag.

Three more troubleshooting steps I could suggest:

1. Run the posts query to see how long it's taking.  That's all that is in the edit.php- it did a query, then formatted it with the options, i.e. select * from wp_posts where post_type = "page"
2. Create a plugin script, and try to replicate what the php script is doing in creating the posts by query, i.e.
$querystr = "SELECT * FROM $wpdb->posts as wpost ORDER BY wpost.post_date DESC";
$pageposts = $wpdb->get_results($querystr, OBJECT);
3. Then in your plugin, change it so that it's getting them by using the wp_query engine, i.e.
<?php $args = array(
   'sort_order' => 'asc',
   'sort_column' => 'post_title',
   'hierarchical' => 1,
   'exclude' => '',
   'include' => '',
   'meta_key' => '',
   'meta_value' => '',
   'authors' => '',
   'child_of' => 0,
   'parent' => -1,
   'exclude_tree' => '',
   'number' => '',
   'offset' => 0,
   'post_type' => 'page',
   'post_status' => 'publish'
);
$pages = get_pages($args);
?>
4. Last, create the site from scratch, do the import, and see if you get the same problem.

I really do think it's something with database performance, and you can't check that kind of stuff from the wp admin.

Sorry I wasn't of more help.