ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software wanted: warn when free RAM falls below xxx MB

<< < (3/4) > >>

skwire:
I like the idea of something like the way Task Manager sits there with a square with a dark background and a solid color rises and falls showing Cpu usage. Task Manager's is green. You could do the same look with blue and it would be a great pair because at least for my daily use, Cpu use and memory use are far from the same, and I don't currently have anything fancy installed that dynamically monitors memory.-TaoPhoenix (July 16, 2015, 12:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Process Explorer does what you're asking.  Launch it and look under Options > Tray Icons.

brotherS:
Give this a try, please:
-skwire (July 16, 2015, 12:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

You are quick! :) Thanks! Is it possible for you to base the code on the "free" RAM instead on the "available" RAM? For me, free RAM is a much better indicator: things tend to slow down when all free RAM is used up (probably because of increased pagefile usage).

brotherS:
https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/ProcessPiglet/
-mouser (July 16, 2015, 10:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just one more thing (ok, two): You could put your nice video demo of it on https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/ProcessPiglet/ . And the "Click _here_ to forcefully restart this process" could also include an option to just kill the process (that would be one use scenario for me).

skwire:
s it possible for you to base the code on the "free" RAM instead on the "available" RAM? For me, free RAM is a much better indicator: things tend to slow down when all free RAM is used up (probably because of increased pagefile usage).-brotherS (July 16, 2015, 03:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

AFAIK, Free is (roughly) the value of Available minus Cached.  However, the data in Cached is not written to disk, i.e., it's not swapped to disk.  Windows just holds it in memory in case it needs to be used again and it's immediately overwritten, in RAM, by new data if the system needs the RAM.  That is, this all happens in RAM, not the HDD/SSD.  In other words, your system should release that cached RAM immediately when it's needed and your system shouldn't slow down.

At any rate, I can't seem to find an MSDN article on how to retrieve those Free and/or Cached values anyway.   :(  Maybe somebody else can point me to one.

brotherS:
Thanks for the explanation, I'll play around with different values and see how it works!  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version