ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software wanted: warn when free RAM falls below xxx MB

<< < (2/4) > >>

brotherS:
That sounds like a great feature idea to add to my Process Piglet tool  :up: I'll add it asap.
-mouser (July 16, 2015, 10:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, didn't even know about that one. :)

MilesAhead:
That sounds like a great feature idea to add to my Process Piglet tool  :up: I'll add it asap.
-mouser (July 16, 2015, 10:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, didn't even know about that one. :)
-brotherS (July 16, 2015, 10:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Me either.  Looking forward to the update.

TaoPhoenix:
... What kind of icon design were you thinking of?  Simple squares of colour?  Something else?
-skwire (July 16, 2015, 09:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

I like the idea of something like the way Task Manager sits there with a square with a dark background and a solid color rises and falls showing Cpu usage. Task Manager's is green. You could do the same look with blue and it would be a great pair because at least for my daily use, Cpu use and memory use are far from the same, and I don't currently have anything fancy installed that dynamically monitors memory.

And as Miles has remarked elsewhere, the number one culprit for me too about memory is when the browsers start to hog it, typically with Flash videos.

Heh I knew about ProcessPiglet, but I had forgotten about it! I'll put a note in my DC personal space to think about it sometime later.

IainB:
I had completely forgotten about, or had not noticed that - NANY 2014 Release: Process Piglet.
Looks quite handy anyway.
By the way, that's an interesting introductory video you made for it @mouser - thanks.
I'd be keen to see it merged with Process Tamer like you suggest though.

skwire:
Give this a try, please: http://skwire.dcmembers.com/apps/snacks/brotherSTrayMem.zip

Notes:

* There are a few values in the INI file you can modify.  By default, the application checks the RAM every second, the yellow level is set at 2/3 of available RAM, and the red level is set at 1/3 of available RAM.
* The icons it uses are in the /icons folder.  I included two sets I made so feel free to use whichever you want (or make your own and share).
* Hovering over the tray icon will show a tooltip with the available RAM on your computer.
I've done some basic testing with it but let me know if you have any issues.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version