topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 9:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Want a Linksys router for $5 ?  (Read 3641 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Want a Linksys router for $5 ?
« on: June 28, 2006, 04:43 AM »
June 26, 2006, 9:11 AM PDT
Social networking of a different sort, from Fon
Posted by: Rafe Needleman

Hey, buddy, wanna buy a cheap wireless router? Head over to Fon and nab the Linksys WRT54GLs they're selling for just $5. Is there a catch? Sure, there's a catch. But it's not a bad deal all the same.

Fon is a growing network of people who use Wi-Fi to share their broadband connections. If you join the network and put your connection on the network, any other Fon member can use your Wi-Fi, and you can use theirs, too, free of charge. And that's where the cheapo routers come in: You need special firmware in your networking equipment. You can download the code from Fon and install it on your router, or you can buy a router with Fon preinstalled, direct from Fon. There will be 1 million cheap routers available as part of a big push the company is launching today to grow its global network.

Full article at http://reviews.cnet....004.html?tag=nl.e501

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Want a Linksys router for $5 ?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 09:25 AM »
I've my doubts about sharing my wireless internet connection. What if, someone uses my internet connection to download via p2p, send spam or worse? Authorities would come to my place...

Is there some kind of security in "Fon" to prevent such things?

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 09:28 AM »
I don't think useage is anonymous, so any nefarious activity should be traceable to the real culprit - I don't know any more than what was in the article. I just thought it was an interesting approach.

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 09:33 AM »
Well, it is interesting, but not for me. :) For now.

BTW, about the $5 router. Just in case anyone wonders about buying it and not using it for Fon:

http://en.fon.com/sh...d=28&language=en

A surcharge of €/$ 45 willll be applied to all routers that are not registered with FON within 30 days of their purchase).