topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:05 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Network Adapter Heavy Troublshooting plz  (Read 13686 times)

ChaosDelirium

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Network Adapter Heavy Troublshooting plz
« on: June 24, 2006, 12:16 PM »
The Automatic Network Adapter Detector "failed" is what the program says. The message that appears is that there's an "Error downloading web page".

My network adapter is an nVidia nForce MCP but on top of that I'm also behind a router... am I supposed to unblock a certain UDP or TCP port for the detection and sniffing to work? My router's a Zyxel Prestige 643. Hope this can be looked into.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Network Adapter Heavy Troublshooting plz
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 07:40 PM »
hmm
you could try setting the adapter manually.
switch to advanced mode (file menu), disable automatic network adapter detection, and select your adapter from the list.

vgi05

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 11:46 PM »
I'm having the same problem. It started after i entered the license key when the "please visit our website" notice apeared.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 11:49 PM »
i promise you it has nothing to do with entering the license key.

i need help from you guys identifying whether the problem is with your autotmatic network adapter detection, or with all sniffing.

just go to advanced mode and disable the automatic network detection, then try to set your adapter manually and see if you can sniff traffic.

Supersnake

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Revisiting Same Problem Today: Network Adapter Heavy Troublshooting plz
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 05:33 PM »
New user, am having the same problem.

URLSnooper notified me that Automatic Network Adapter Detector Failed, but it really did not fail because it shows my correct adapter [NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Adapter Driver]

>  I have disabled Auto determine network adapter on startup
>  URLSnooper.exe is set to run as administrator
>  Problem exists whether Windows Fire Wall is on or off.
>  URL Sniffer v2.28.01
>  Problem exists with the latest version of Wincamp v4.1.2 and with the prior version 4.1.1

I installed Windump and it is using [NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Adapter Driver] without a problem.
In my Windump screenshot you can see Windump listening on NPF_{350CA92A-527F-4E7A-8C28-943719A018E1} .

I also took a Regedit screenshot showing that NPF_{350CA92A-527F-4E7A-8C28-943719A018E1} is the NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Adapter Driver

I can only conclude from this that if another Wincamp application is working fine with my network driver then there is something faulty in URLSnooper?

What do you suggest?

EDIT: Solution found.  See next 5 posts
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 12:58 AM by Supersnake »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 10:06 PM »
Since two of the network adapters are identified as nVidia MCP chipsets - are the users by any chance running the nVidia Network Manager?

This could be causing conflicts, (I know it was an absolute PITA when I had an nForce 3 chipset), and I'd never install it again.

I do still have an MCP78 chipset based PC, (XP Pro), so I'll install it on that for a test mouser but I'm not going to install flamin' NNM - dedication only goes so far :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 10:07 PM by 4wd »

Supersnake

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 10:23 PM »

Thanks for coming to my aid.

Since two of the network adapters are identified as nVidia MCP chipsets - are the users by any chance running the nVidia Network Manager?
Am really not sure how to check who is using it.  One moment and let me see if there is a running service....
OK, I launched services.msc and found NVIDIA Driver Helper Service running.  However, that is the service that the NVIDIA video drivers use. Will stop it anyway then relaunch URLSniffer and see if that helps..
Will get right back to you...

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 10:30 PM »
The NNM, (can also be called the nVidia Network Access Manager), is usually an optional install included with the chipset drivers.

It allows things like Interface Teaming and did include firewall capabilities, I don't know if it does now - as I said, I avoid it like the plague.

BTW, you can permanently disable the NVIDIA Driver Helper Service, if nothing else it will decrease shutdown time.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 10:32 PM by 4wd »

Supersnake

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 10:55 PM »
Hmm, I did disable the NVIDIA Driver Helper Service and of course the problem remained since it has nothing to do with the inability to access my nVidia Network Access Manager. Funny thing is I was trialing URLSnooper 6 weeks ago and it worked fine, however I have never had a need to use it again until tonight, so I thought I would give it another try.  If it worked then it should work tonight - thats strange.

Anyway, I just now installed another media packet sniffer called URL-Sniffer and it too has a nice GUI - but not as nice as URLSnooper.
However it generated  An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions. so that didnt work.

I also tried another one whose name escapes me and it too had a nice GUI.  It detected both of my two network manager controllers/adaptors and even gave me the choice of having the program use either one.  However, no matter which of the two it chose it wasnt seeing any packets (was unable to).

Doesn't seem to make sense if URLSnooper worked 6 weeks ago and Windump is working tonight - that I cant get URLSnooper to work.

Am not going to mess around and disable or uninstall anything related to my chipset just for a non essential program  :)

Oh well, will play around with it some more.
Thank You

Supersnake

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 12:37 AM »
Wait a minute. Let me read again what you wrote.

The NNM, (can also be called the nVidia Network Access Manager), is usually an optional install included with the chipset drivers.

Aha! Good to know that, thanks.  Since your telling me that, I learned that NVIDIA integrates ethernet drivers within its nVIDIA chip set driver too.

Have located a web discussion explaining reasons why Nvidia nForce Networking Controller #2 can appear; one of the reasons is when one adds a network router - which I did when I purchased and installed a D-link router to establish a wireless connection from my desktop computer to my laptop.  However, starting last week I no longer had a need to use my laptop at home - so I removed the router.  Apparently, I should have also uninstalled that 'controller #2' device driver.

So, I disabled the Nvidia nForce Networking Controller #2 in my Windows control panel and URLSnooper is working just fine now. Thanks for giving me the idea to suspect a driver conflict  :Thmbsup:

P.S. Will now make my donation too, thanks.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 01:33 AM by Supersnake »