topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:06 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: DupeTrasher  (Read 12965 times)

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
DupeTrasher
« on: June 24, 2006, 05:37 AM »
DupeTrasher is 10 times faster than DoubleKiller (https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=1693.0) (havent tried the pro version).

Yet another duplicate file scanner?
We think it's not, but this is up to you to decide. From our experience, some very popular software packages have this option in their features set, but it's has rather poor design. They tend to completely hang or even crash the system when large number of files are included into search. Of course we are not going to name any of those applications here. Advanced algorithm combined with the raw power of assembly language gives you the fastest duplicate file finder on the market, as far as we know. This is not just a cliché sentence, until today we were unable to find some other utility of this kind that is faster, more optimized and lower memory consumer than DupeTrasher. This is especially true when it comes to a search of the large number of files. However, if you prove us wrong and find such application, please let us know, we will give you DupeTrasher license for free!

Technical details
DupeTrasher was written completely in Win32 assembly, as a standalone executable file with no third party libraries or DLL dependencies. Program size is only about 130kb and no compression has been used. It was designed to run on the Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/2003. Smart application crash system is implemented, in order to give you ability to report us any bug that may arise.
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 11:10 AM by brotherS »

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DupeTrasher
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 11:12 AM »
DupeTrasher is 10 times faster than DoubleKiller (https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=1693.0) (havent tried the pro version).
I doubt that's true, but to truely compare both you'd need to try DoubleKiller Pro :)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 11:13 AM »
I can't believe writing a utility like this in assembly language will make much difference to speed - the limiting factor isn't the processing speed but disc access - and that isn't going to be speeded up whatever programming language you use.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 11:35 AM »
well there are other things a dupechecker has to do that could benefit from highly optimized code (crc creation and hash lookup)..

i'm genuinely afraid of the concept of complicated programs written in assembly, but hey if they did it, more power to them.

dupetrasher definitely looks worth a try.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 11:36 AM »
as a side note, people should probably avoid saying program x is 10 times better/faster/cuter than program y, unless there are some real reasons to back up that number :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 11:41 AM »
i'd also point out that it is VERY important to compare with same settings -
by default dupetrasher does not seem to check file contents (crc values, etc).

if you compared 2 dupecheckers, one of which was making and checking hash values, and one of which was not, you would expect the one that didn't to be a LOT faster.

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 04:01 AM »
I have, and use, Dupetrasher.  I find it very good.  User interface and (apparent) speed are the reasons why I bought it.

Jeff