ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Save Domain Privacy

<< < (2/3) > >>

MilesAhead:
There are not company identifiers.  It's not a company.  It's just personal sites that I've registered.
-wraith808 (June 30, 2015, 12:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

In that case I would agree with you.  Especially after having my free domain yanked without consulting me.  It is really a paranoid world these days.  If you subject your code to 57 virus scanners and get 2 red flags and 55 green ones, nobody says "you got 55 green flags out of 57."  They say "you got 2 red flags."  It's retahded as we used to say in Boston.  :)

SeraphimLabs:
They haven't yet made it against policy to use a PO Box as your contact info.

And the phone number is allowed to be a crappy prepaid phone that is never actually used- it just has to actually ring and be answered after a couple of attempts.

As usual the only people to lose out to policies like these are the masses. The savvy can still evade them as easily as they please.

I've been rather annoyed lately with the ICANN policy changes, and the general attitude of 'we must regulate and make a profit from everything that exists on the internet  and how dare you try to do otherwise'

namecoin is looking rather attractive right now as an alternative technology to the existing ICANN regulated DNS infrastructure.

I was actually thinking about what it would take to create a namecoin-like decentralized SSL certificate system, along the lines of your sitename and the public fingerprint of your site's SSL certificate are published in a blockchain so that anyone at any time can check to see if they have the correct certificate for the site in question. This would eliminate the need for a central authority for SSL certificates much the same way Namecoin eliminates the need for a central authority to serve DNS.

wraith808:
I formerly used a PO box, but I was paying for a PO box just for this.  Then I used privacy, but GoDaddy are greedy.  So now I use Tucows, and they give it for free.  And as far as the pre-paid, you still have to top it up, or they'll cut it off.

SeraphimLabs:
I formerly used a PO box, but I was paying for a PO box just for this.  Then I used privacy, but GoDaddy are greedy.  So now I use Tucows, and they give it for free.  And as far as the pre-paid, you still have to top it up, or they'll cut it off.
-wraith808 (June 30, 2015, 04:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

PO Box costs me $50 per year, I use it as my main mailbox anyway since I don't trust my neighbors to not snoop.

The prepaid phone I have has two expirations. The first is based on minutes used- it counts down till its gone. It also keeps track of service days remaining, again counting down till its gone.

And its all too easy for one of these phones to end up with like 300 minutes and several years of service time on it, making it ideal for a low cost point of contact to comply with ICANN regulations.

My domains are registered with dyn, and they want like $20 a year on top of the registration for the privacy service. Multiplied by the list of domains I have.

Using the PO box and prepaid phone instead, my info is compliant with ICANN regulations, but at the same time I am not inviting unwanted guests or getting a lot of telemarketters like I would be with a normal phone line and mailbox arrangement.

wraith808:
Sounds like a good setup.  But just having Hover do all of that for me for free is really convenient :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version