ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Mustang Browser for Windows (chromium based)

<< < (2/2)

MilesAhead:

Does this answer your question?
-Deozaan
--- End quote ---

Have you tried any of the switches that cut down on the number of instances?  I am curious if it would hinder performance a great deal.  I notice in Mustang it almost seems like the setting not to load a tab until active is enabled.  There is no such setting in options but maybe there is something set under the covers by the programmer who put it together.  Even when I set New Tab Fast Dial to not use a background image there is a second hesitation before the page loads.  Mustang is not blazingly fast.  But it does get off the dime faster than Firefox or Cyberfox.

Deozaan:
I am unaware of any such switches.

MilesAhead:
I am unaware of any such switches.
-Deozaan (June 23, 2015, 05:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

It seems in google chrome it only gives you -process-per-site and -process-per-tab

chromium used to have a --renderer-process-limit=n switch.  Searching now I don't find it.  Version numbers climb fast these days.  :)

Although I tried it in chrome myself and it seemed to work.  Maybe it is still in there but no longer documented?

When I set n to 4 and had 8 to 10 tabs open I rarely got more than a dozen exe instances.  Starting to a blank page was typically 4 instances.

Innuendo:
So, to reference the OP, what makes this Chromium variant different than the umpteen other Chromium variants out there?

MilesAhead:
So, to reference the OP, what makes this Chromium variant different than the umpteen other Chromium variants out there?
-Innuendo (June 27, 2015, 08:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

The main feature is some kind of limitation on the number of exe instances spawned.  I don't know exactly how it is implemented.  One reason it makes a difference how the limitation is achieved is it can be problematic when launching a chromium via file association.  I can add the switch to the shortcut target line to limit the number of rendering instances.  But unless I have the browser open all the time to catch html file launches in a new tab, then one has to mess around adding the switch to the Registry entries.  I did it with chromium back when I was playing with the snapshots.  But I tried to do it with chrome portable from portableapps.com and I could not figure it out.

The other difference is the last time I tried chromium it did not show any flash video out of the box.  Mustang does.  It is a compromise.  Pretty fast loading off the disk. Not super snappy loading tabs.  Not for everyone.  I just kind of lie the feel of it.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version