topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:18 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: CHS on Linux  (Read 6266 times)

Paul1149

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
CHS on Linux
« on: June 24, 2015, 09:24 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with CHS on Linux? I've been working on a VM of Mint 17.1 (mate), in WMWare Player on Win7, all 32 bit. I copied the my documents \ chs folder over to Mint. CHS seems to have picked up the database fine, but not all the settings, which is weird (missing some hotkeys; the Presets are there).

The immediate problem I'm having is in making Ctrl-Alt- hotkeys work. But I'm wondering if the constraints of operating in a VM window have anything to do with that. I've exited CHS in Windows during the testing.

Thanks,

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: CHS on Linux
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 09:59 PM »
I've tried some of mouser's software using Wine and my experience is usually that it almost seems to work, but not quite.  May be if enough of us bug him often enough he'll consider Wine as an official target :)

Paul1149

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 11:01 PM »
It would be a great thing. I'm repeatedly hearing serious talk of embracing linux - from top-level Windows tech guys. They see where MS is taking this thing - and it looks to be a closed-ecosystem like Apple's, all kinds of information collection, nagging sale of services, and the eclipse of independent software - and they don't like it.

At the same time, Linux for the desktop is ready. It's still not as polished as Windows, but it's not far away either.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 08:54 AM »
It would be a great thing. I'm repeatedly hearing serious talk of embracing linux - from top-level Windows tech guys. They see where MS is taking this thing - and it looks to be a closed-ecosystem like Apple's, all kinds of information collection, nagging sale of services, and the eclipse of independent software - and they don't like it.

At the same time, Linux for the desktop is ready. It's still not as polished as Windows, but it's not far away either.

I suspect MS feels the desktop hobbyist/aficionado is expendable.  Ordinary users will get W preloaded when they buy a desktop.  They may lose some shrink-wrap sales.  But that will be more than offset by the device market revenue.

I think soon if you want to keep control of your own system then you will be running Windows < 8 or some other OS like Linux.

It is funny because I was just reading on the web that even though it never made it to a 64 bit OS there are some hobbyists and businesses that will not abandon OS/2.  I didn't investigate what the new incarnation of it costs.  Apparently there is a commercial entity that supports it.  Now the name is eComStation

I have no idea what hardware it supports etc..

Paul1149

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 09:16 AM »
Hey Miles. Funny coincidence, but one of the references to tech-saavy Windows guys I was thinking of was the fascinating thread over at SF which you participated in, which I'm reading right now.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 10:01 AM »
Hey Miles. Funny coincidence, but one of the references to tech-saavy Windows guys I was thinking of was the fascinating thread over at SF which you participated in, which I'm reading right now.

Got a link?  :)

Paul1149

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 10:05 AM »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 10:17 AM »
Here you go
http://www.sevenforu...indows-versions.html

Heh.  I hate to admit I've forgotten more about Linux that I remember.  It has been quite a while since I did more than install and take a look in a VM.  :)

Paul1149

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 10:22 AM »
I'm switching a friend on an older box over to Linux. Tired of trying to make W7 work speedily. I've got Puppy Bang on it now, and it's very impressive for speed. I might switch to Lubundu though, for the sake of a smoother ride.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 12:31 PM »
I'm switching a friend on an older box over to Linux. Tired of trying to make W7 work speedily. I've got Puppy Bang on it now, and it's very impressive for speed. I might switch to Lubundu though, for the sake of a smoother ride.

I'm not sure what distro I would use.  But it would be Debian based.  I always struggled installing programs back in the RedHat 6.x days.  When I got Mandrake 9.1 it made life so much easier.  Advanced Package Tool was an order of magnitude improvement on RPM. Perhaps not totally RPM's fault.  I think on the APT side there was much more agreement what directories stuff should go in.

Paul1149

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 03:49 PM »
I think Puppy is debian based. It just purrs along using less than 10% of the box's 2gb RAM. Amazing. Pretty, too.