ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

download monitoring in network

(1/1)

cowcrombie:
I need YOUR help!

I suspect i have a rouge PC thats been infected with something that'd downloading stuff like crazy.

Australian Broadband are all capped. I only get 12 gig a month to use. and once you run out, you get dialup speed. evil 56k.

anyway, i was wondering whether any of you know of any programs that can keep track of how much each computer is downloading.

I know there are programs out there that can monitor how much download and uploads the computer is doing, but since i'm on a network, most of it is just chatter between my comp and the router (correct me if i'm wrong) so the upload and download data wouldn't be very accurate.

I've just been doing normal surfing to 3 forumn sites, and the program says i've download 1.2 mb of data. Is that normal?? for 20 mins of forum surfing???

and are there any programs that can track downloads on computers in the same network? instead of me going to each computer for the readings.

thanks guys!

Josh:
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/NetLimiter_Pro/1046743275/1

This is a great app that I use that sounds like it would be right up your alley

PhilKC:
I've just been doing normal surfing to 3 forumn sites, and the program says i've download 1.2 mb of data. Is that normal?? for 20 mins of forum surfing???
-cowcrombie (June 23, 2006, 09:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Depending on your client (and forum) settings... Yes...

If you want to save some bandwidth, disable avatars, and sigintures, consider disabling images (Or only allows those from the originating site)...

As for the rouge client, unless your routing devices has some functionality to show bandiwdth consumtion, I think you're out of luck.. (Short of installing an app to do so on every PC)

PhilKC

Carol Haynes:
At 1.2Mb download in 20 minutes it will take you 5 months of online time to use up 12Gb ... I wouldn't worry. I download quite a lot and am online a lot and I never get near 12Gb - to use up that amount you would have to be downloading the equivalent of 2 complete CDs every 3 days. That's easy to do if you download loads of movies on a very fast connection but then you would want to upgrade your bandwidth anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version