ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Mustang Browser for Windows (chromium based)

(1/2) > >>

MilesAhead:
Looking through Softpedia Windows downloads I ran across Mustang Browser 1.42.90.0

It is based on Chromium.  But the flash player works out of the box.  Also it seems to have built in settings to limit the number of exe instances.  Starting up with a blank page it shows 4.  With 6 tabs open it shows 6.

So far i've installed Fastdial and Vanilla Cookie Manager.  It comes with AdOff already installed.

So far so good.  It has the dialog to import bookmarks and settings just like chrome.
My first impression is it is chrome with a sanity check on the number of running instances.   :Thmbsup:

Edit:  I posted the Softpedia download link because the file seems to be hosted with the download servers.  The home page listed for the program is a commercial consulting site with no link to any freeware I could see.

Edit2:  There seems to be no portable version.  Note that the installer is quite primitive.  You click install and it puts the stuff under Program Files (x86) on a x64 Windows and makes itself the default browser.  It also adds a button to the Taskbar.  Just so you know what to expect.

Edit3:  It is not as super snappy as regular chrome but it seems pretty stingy on memory.  See screen shot.

Edit2:  I found a lag when opening new tabs.  It seems to wait until you click the tab to load.  What it turned out to be was Fast Dial.  It was set to load a background image on the new tab page before loading dials.  There is still a bit of a delay when clicking on a new tab where the background is white.  But the delay is much less noticeable if the Fast Dial has this option set to off.  I noticed complaints about slow tab loading for chrome generally and the answer seemed to be to check an extension that manipulates the new tab page.

It seems very usable now.  Looks pretty nice with Vista Aero Theme.   :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead:
I still like this browser.  But there is a quirk where it will not add itself to the default programs list.   If you change default to another browser, then change it back via the button the next time you run Mustang.exe it will not actually change default to itself.

The only way I found to do it is change the name of mustang.exe(e.g. mustangSAV.exe) then run the installer.  It will install and set mustang as the default.  All my settings and extensions were still intact.  If you run the installer without renaming the exe it just launches the exe.

TaoPhoenix:

"My first impression is it is chrome with a sanity check on the number of running instances"

Does Chrome get bad for that stuff?

MilesAhead:

"My first impression is it is chrome with a sanity check on the number of running instances"

Does Chrome get bad for that stuff?

-TaoPhoenix (June 22, 2015, 01:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can easily have a dozen or more chrome instances when running 7 or 8 tabs.  By default it opens an instance for each tab and one for each running extension.  The theory is if you have a bad extension it doesn't crash the whole browser.  Just that extension.  Also it makes for fast load and rendering.  But it can hog the system.

Deozaan:

Does Chrome get bad for that stuff?-TaoPhoenix (June 22, 2015, 01:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Does this answer your question?

^^ That is not artificially inflated to make a point. It's with 17 tabs open (which is a relatively low number for me) during my normal browsing when I came to this thread.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version