topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: My note, task and project mangement web application  (Read 6585 times)

JohnDevel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My note, task and project mangement web application
« on: November 09, 2015, 09:34 AM »
Hello,

during the last year I spent my leisure time to write an own note and todo web application. Now I have started the first beta test. I would be happy if some of you would like to give me feedback about my application. Thanks :)

oneheap.com

Cheers,
John

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: My note, task and project mangement web application
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 02:13 PM »
Signup was easy. I like the concept of boxes. Is there a way to incorporate code (html, bbcode, etc.) into descriptions? Or maybe you could at least auto-link urls? Here's a test published item:
https://oneheap.com/...a322a38baede128835f6

JohnDevel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 02:45 PM »
Signup was easy. I like the concept of boxes. Is there a way to incorporate code (html, bbcode, etc.) into descriptions? Or maybe you could at least auto-link urls? Here's a test published item:
https://oneheap.com/...a322a38baede128835f6

Thank you :)

Yes it's possible. You can use markdown to format/structure your notes. In the final version there will be a WYSIWYG like editor. But currently you have to do this manually. Here is a small markdown cheatsheet.
https://help.github....b-flavored-markdown/

John

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 05:11 AM »
Will there be a possibility later on to run this on my own (internal) web-server? This definitely looks interesting, but running this kind of tools on a external server is not an option for myself.

[rant]
Lately, internet is becoming unreliable in these parts of the world.

People here get jobs according to their political preference first, their CV second and their actual skill set last. For example: if they managed once to put up a MySQL server once in their lifetime, they will put Database management on their CV and get a job managing Oracle database clusters. Often replacing people that really do know what they are doing. At least for as long as their political party is in power...

Unfortunately I am not kidding :(

At the state owned company CoPaCo it looks like a new bunch of idiots are working there and dropping connections for no reason than ineptitude. It doesn't matter where you buy your internet connection from, here in Paraguay you will go through CoPaCo servers before you arrive at the backbone in Brazil that will lead you to US/European sites and services.

Whatever 3rd party internet service I was using before, I am now running as much of those in-house as I can. Who knew that by keeping things in-house and the extra (permanent) management burden involved is actually less of a head-ache than an unreliable internet connection, which leads to people at my desk complaining about this or that 3rd party service being off-line (again).
[/rant]

JohnDevel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 06:15 AM »
Will there be a possibility later on to run this on my own (internal) web-server? This definitely looks interesting, but running this kind of tools on a external server is not an option for myself.

Hi Shades,

currently I have not planned this. My first goal is to finish the final release. Maybe later :)

Why is it no option for you? Data privacy? One of the next features for me is to implement client side encryption for your notes. So only you have access to your own data. The other feature is export: Anytime you will be able to export all of your data.

Cheers,
John

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 07:39 AM »
Privacy is a factor too, but my main gripe is the need for a reliable internet connection. Now I realize that this isn't a problem in big parts of the globe, but in my neck of the woods it is. Even in the capital of Paraguay, where I reside in a well connected, high profile commercial "barrio" connections are unreliable. Out of the city it becomes worse. When running a service in-house at least I know who is to blame.

Granted, having a subscription based service with which you can make money by either running it yourself or selling it to a bigger fish in the pond is a very nice way to monetize a hobby and/or launch a career. Even if you just want to keep doing this as a hobby, kudo's to you for making this. :Thmbsup:

JohnDevel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 04:12 AM »
Hi Shades, I understand your problem. The idea of an additional self-hosted license is nice. Maybe I'll be offer such a license in the future. But first I have to make the beta release stable :)

Cheers,
John

JohnDevel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 08:17 AM »
Hello, a new release is online :)

Changelog: