ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Managing Flash in your browser

(1/3) > >>

tomos:
Managing Flash in your browser:

I gave up using Firefox [FF] & Pale Moon [PM] due to their very high CPU and/or memory usage when playing flash video (which problem was possibly with all video in-browser). What did work with FF/PM was setting the plugin to ask for permission, and of course, the FlashBlock extension.

Now I'm trying out Chrome and (SRWare) Iron.
Chrome plays video no matter what the plugin settings are (e.g. ask for permission makes no difference).
Iron, when set to ask for permission, simply wont work -- either right-click on video to allow plugin doesnt show correct context menu, or I end up with a page saying Ah snap! something went wrong ... Reload - reloading just starts the cycle again.

I'm wondering:

* is there any browser out there that manages Flash gracefully?
* And also, I suppose recommendations for managing it in Chrome/Iron (I know there are extensions, but still thought it worth starting the thread...).

eleman:
Your best option is still Firefox (I use 32 bit ESR, not the latest shiniest coolest one) + flashblock + yesScript (for worst offenders) + adblock plus (or edge, whatever).

I know, memory use skyrockets upwards to 900 MB after a while, but the three add-ons I mentioned help keep it manageable.

tomos:
Your best option is still Firefox (I use 32 bit ESR, not the latest shiniest coolest one) + flashblock-eleman (June 15, 2015, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

I installed Firefox ESR on laptop last night.
I had to disable Flashblock [FB] with it, in order to play YT videos - they showed with FB on, and thought about starting - but would not play properly.
Will check it again tonight, to see if that was just startup hiccups.

[Yesscript sounds good :up:]

Meanwhile Iron browser is okay with YT (I guess cause it's HTML5), but if a video is embedded in a page, it cannot even show the page :-/
I did change some settings (allowing disallowing various plugins) - will try and see if there's a default settings button...

eleman:
I had to disable Flashblock [FB] with it, in order to play YT videos - they showed with FB on, and thought about starting - but would not play properly.
-tomos (July 06, 2015, 06:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Flashblock has a whitelist. Add youtube in that list.

Also take a look at YouTube High Def to make youtube behave as you like, rather than as google likes.

tomos:
will try those later -
thanks eleman
:Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version