ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SourceForge takes over GIMP for Windows’ account to peddle adware

<< < (3/3)

Deozaan:
or if the project is already bundling third party offers.-https://sourceforge.net/blog/third-party-offers-will-be-presented-with-opt-in-projects-only/
--- End quote ---

So they still bundle in their extra 3rd party offers without the maintainer's permission if the maintainer uses them as well? That still seems a bit sketchy to me.

app103:
At this time, we present third party offers only with a few
projects where it is explicitly approved by the project developer, or
if the project is already bundling third party offers.

--- End quote ---

rgdot:
 ;D

softpedia is still good, the downloads I have tried any way

TaoPhoenix:
It's things like these that make me wish we had "expendable" people who could infiltrate as a low level staffer, sit in a couple of these meetings, then whistleblow the exact transcript portions of how these companies come to these decisions.

"Well, they are bundling 3rd party stuff, so Legal says that takes away their "defense of innocence" so we can too! The extra $4,233 of revenue will go into next month's quarterly report. The 40k of lost good will will then be written off at the best time Accounting says the net benefit to us is best, most likely Fiscal 01 next year for tax usage. ... Oops. Finance is reporting the lost goodwill at 227K, way higher than my brother's nephew's guess of 40. So okay, we stop the bundling... for now!"

app103:
And now someone comes forward with this useful info site: http://helb.github.io/goodbye-sourceforge/

Which, among other things, includes this advice:

How can I help?

If you agree that SourceForge is in fact distributing malicious software under the guise of open source projects, report them to google. Ideally this will help remove them from search results, prevent others from suffering their malware and provide them with incentive to change their behavior.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version