ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Maxthon Browser Users: Maybe one of you has already solved this

<< < (5/8) > >>

4wd:
But even if i go to the downloads folder, while i do have the right click option to past clip to url shortcut But-- if i right click the file, doing this makes nothing for me :(  I was so hopeful ... And it is probably something i did wrong.
The registry edit went fine and paste is in the windows folder.-questorfla (June 15, 2015, 11:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

You did edit it to reflect any path changes you made, right?

Works fine here, (even with files with spaces which I forget about most of the time).

As long as you got that far dont suppose you could make a litle more magic and bend this hole procedure into the act of clicking download?  If the URL in in the clipboard, dont suppose there is a way to make it link up with the clicking of the download button?
--- End quote ---

Not likely, this would probably require monitoring of the clipboard all the time to capture any URLs or some sort of browser plugin.

Nifty thing about the ADS is it's linked to the file, wherever the file goes, whatever it's renamed to, the ADS travels along.  Only works for NTFS naturally, so as soon as you copy to a non NTFS filesystem, it's lost.

questorfla:
Almost........ I had to try it.  Streams is close.  Maybe close enough.  Never even heard of it.  Interesting stuff
But there has to be a native windows way to edit the "info-text" pop-ups that come up when you hover over a filename in Explorer.
So far, i can see at least 3 lines showing file size and other stuff.  There hs to be a place that controls what is displayed and where it comes from.  Some had 4 lines so i also know it is variable.
And on Media files you see almost a whole page full of info about authors bit rates etc.  
But you are on a Roll tonight!  :)  Thanks for the "whudda thot"  that?
What did I do wrong on the URL paste?

4wd:
The files you want to add comments to don't have metadata or another means of adding extraneous information, (excluding archive comments and the ADS).

But here's an Explorer extension, (with source), that shows whether or not a file has an ADS, I wouldn't think it would be too hard to modify it to show just what a "Comment" ADS contained.

What did I do wrong on the URL paste?
--- End quote ---

Can't tell you, I'm not sitting in front of your monitor  ;)

Addendum: Found via StackOverflow, there's an old Property sheet handler that may work under x86 (was written for 2000/XP) that shows ADS: StrmExt

64bit version - working on 8.1Pro:

questorfla:
You did edit it to reflect any path changes you made, right?
Works fine here, (even with files with spaces which I forget about most of the time).

Maybe i am thinking about this wrong.  If i go to downloads folder and right click in empty space the option is not showing.
If i point to the file i downloaded and then right click i see the option but when i choose it nothing happens.
If i create an empty shortcut ..of course that just disappears as invalid.
If I create a Good shortcut manually and put something in it so it will stay, this time the new paste as URL option is not even there.
I am a little unsure about what to expect but if it should be creating a .url file using the data held in the clipboard as the primary part of the name and .url as the extension, that isn't happening.  As I noted, the option to paste as URL is only showing IF I click on an existing file as though i was going to change the file's name or type and the only type it will not even show up at all on is if i choose a pre-existing URL.

Am I misunderstanding that it should be working by simply clicking on the folder or inside the folder to create the url?
I am not good at this but it appears that the right click option is working in context as related to the "shell" for editing a file rather than creating one?  Maybe I am not saying that right but it shows as an option >only< if i am selecting another file to right click on.  If i right click on the "download directory" it is not in the command options.  If i right click in empty space inside the Downloads folder, it does not show either.  I must right click while pointing at a file in order to have the option show up which, if it did work, would be in the same group of commands as if i wanted to rename, delete or change the chosen file itself in some way.
Clicking it at that point, however, does not appear to do anything at any location i can see although it could be somewhere else on the system

4wd:
Maybe i am thinking about this wrong.  If i go to downloads folder and right click in empty space the option is not showing.-questorfla (June 15, 2015, 11:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Correct

If i point to the file i downloaded and then right click i see the option but when i choose it nothing happens.
--- End quote ---

You did put both Paste2URL.cmd and paste.exe in a directory called C:\Scripts, correct?

I am a little unsure about what to expect but if it should be creating a .url file using the data held in the clipboard as the primary part of the name and .url as the extension, that isn't happening.
--- End quote ---

1) Right-click on file (for this example it's downloaded program.exe)
2) Choose Paste clip to URL shortcut
3) Creates a file with the same name but with extension of .url (downloaded program.url) - you will not see the extension of .url in Explorer, it will just look like a normal shortcut without any extension.
4)
5) Contents of downloaded program.url

--- Code: Text ---[InternetShortcut] URL= http://yadayadayada.com/downloaded%20program.exe
Of course, if Maxthon isn't really storing the URL in the clipboard as just (for example) http://yadayadayada.com/downloaded%20program.exe then the shortcut created will be invalid.  (The URL should contain escaped characters if Maxthon is doing it's job properly.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version